LR3 Build with SKR PICO, Pi, and Klipper

Hello Everybody!

I have been casually assembling the LR3 since January and finally got my first cuts in last night. I will try and post updates, macros, and settings I find useful on my adventure to make this usable with Klipper. Sadly computer programing is not my forte…

5 Likes

welcome!
great work getting it going!!

I had to bug everyone here to help me get it going… and its still not…

So can you explain to me the advantage of klipper? Sure I have heard of hype around it in the 3d printing world, especially when i was looking at a VORON or the LR3 as the next project ( I live on a boat so a VORON 0 would be good, but my brother offered me some space in his toyshed.) but as I run a PRUSA i havent bothered learning anything more.

Can you explain why you chose Klipper over say, FLID NC or the standard firmware?

So no great reasons other than I loved converting my Ender 3 Pro to the same set up. Liked the ability to control all via a browser and not recompile Marlin. Had an extra PICO board and wanted to see how it did with 4 steppers vs 5. Z-homing isnt great but hoping I could learn some Macros to program around the issue. As far as features, I loved the bed mesh or z height comp that it can do. I had amazing luck with the harmonic tuning for the Ender but not thinking Ill benefit very much with it for CNC work since the slower speeds. Finally it seemed like a fun tinkering challenge to learn some new stuff with.

1 Like

Thanks, keep us informed of you are fining it please.
I might even try it, one day.

Congrats on the beautiful new machine! And getting it working and making cuts!

Converting 3D printed YZ plates to MDF. More paint to come…

2 Likes

New board installed and all set up. Still need to revise the control box for this new boards screw pattern.

1 Like

How do you have those steppers wired? It looks like the are only three drivers.

On the Pico, it was 4 drivers with z1 being a duplicated. Leveling x axis was kind of a pain and the little board was getting quite hot so wanted to upgrade a bit. The new board has the new EZ 2209s and have a driver for each stepper.

1 Like

Klipper’s Z-Tilt configuration being proofed out. Added some springs to eliminate having to stick the touch plate under every time it homes z. How would yall improve this?

1 Like

Doug Joseph @DougJoseph just released a video on how he uses magnets, check that out for some inspiration, then report.back with waht you do!

1 Like

The aluminum tape is my go to method always flat and repeatable