LR3 Advice Before Purchase

New to CNC, First post, and am almost ready to purchase everything I can for a LR3 as I do not have a 3D printer.
Almost everything I do is with 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood.
I am interested in knowing / finding plans to build a table that will allow me to use the entire sheet with the LR3.

Also, While I see there are 2 types of controllers available from V1, are there any other controllers you would recommend so as to have future upgrades for sensors, tool changers, etc …?
I look forward to learning all I can from this site and the users on it.
Thank You
Bob

Hey Bob, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world that is your own CNC. You will have some wonderful and some dreadful experiences, but all of them are fun. :slight_smile:

Hey Bob, the SKR Pro is the most used board at the moment and the support is pretty good. There are a few people like @kockie-nl and me who use completely different boards, but we are basically on our own when asking for help here, which is something we knew. If you are a beginner, I’d really recommend the SKR Pro.

It does not really matter whether the plans are made for a whole sheet or two half sheets, you can always cut them at the same time. Finding plans is not always easy, there used to be a site with great furniture, but I don’t know what it was and where it was. A quick googling nets me this table with chairs: Plywood Cafe Furniture Set Chair Table [DXF] File

3 Likes

Sorry…
I am looking for the plans to build the table to support LR3… No to build a furniture table…
LOL

There aren’t any plans for a table. Can just check the builds to get ideas.

1 Like

The documentation does have a calculator that tells you how big the table has to be: LowRider V3 Calculator - V1 Engineering Documentation

Then you can go crazy. I recommend a torsion box table for that size, Doug has got one that is made from two pieces so you can store it easily, as far as I remember right. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My table build is documented in my LowRider v2 build thread. Doug Joseph (Design8Studio) Full-Sheet LowRider 2 "Build on a Budget"

It’s made of two torsion boxes (a la Ron Paulk workbench style), bolted together, and attached to a big rolling cart base. It’s big enough to address 4x8 sheets.

The LowRider v2 could “access” more square inches of a table top than a v3 can, but by a tiny amount. I had to be careful when upgrading from v2 to v3 to make sure I could still get full access to the sheet. I can also basically address all of a 49" x 97" sheet of MDF too.

1 Like

My upgrade from LowRider v2 to v3 is documented here: On upgrade path: LR2 -> LR3, Clarksburg, WV, USA

1 Like

Here’s a key quote from my LR2 build, regarding the table:

Table for LowRider 2
Design by Doug Joseph - Design8Studio.com
3D design made using SketchUp Pro & outputted from SketchUp Layout

Here I am attaching a PDF exported from SketchUp Pro Layout, and JPG images that were also exported from there.

PDF (linked from my design studio site, due to this site’s restrictions on file size):
http://design8studio.com/files/Table-Plan-for-LowRider-v2-58-x-113-OSB-9-ft-ver-H.pdf

I later lengthened the base, which widened the opening on the long sides, so 4x8 sheets could be stored underneath. That change is discussed further down in the thread I linked first above.

1 Like

Here’s my table build. Built it for the 2, but same idea.

My current table is just a single torsion box that’s about 6 foot square.

2 Likes