LR2 parts for LR3

Just a little over a year ago, I finished my LR2 build. About a month after that, I had a bad stroke. I’ve worked really hard to get back what I could, and now I’m coming to grips with the way things are going to be from here out. It’s been a year since I’ve been in my shop, but the time has arrived for me to get back out there. Version 3 of the LR build really interests me. I’m considering taking the 2 apart, and building the 3. Has anyone put together a list of interchangable parts? I have the BigTreeTech board with 3 drivers, 1" diameter conduit, the dewalt router for the 2, and of course the motors, hardware, etc., and everything else needed for the 2 build. Besides the build parts, what else am I going to need to add to what I already have from my 2 build? Anyone have a list put together? It would really help.

2 Likes

Hi Brad, I’m glad you are well enough to get going again. For an entirely different reason, I am in the same position as you - I won’t be starting my list for a week or two if you want to wait, but I’ll be checking on this thread in the meantime!

It’s on the build page:

https://docs.v1engineering.com/lowrider/#lr2-to-lr3-hardware-differences-for-updating-your-build

1 Like

Thank you very much!

I’m in the process of putting together the parts to do the same. Actually I think there’s a bit more to the LR2 to LR3 upgrade. That hardware list seems to only cover the nuts/bolts/screws.

I think you’ll also need:

linear rails
end stops (I’m getting 5)
end stop plugs (I’m getting 5)

There may be more things but my brief review leads me to believe that might be it for essentials. There are plenty of bearings, pulleys and idlers (if my audits are correct) and I left the belts long and have extra. You should probably use the calculator to see if your existing belts will fit your new LR3 desired size.

I’m probably also going to get the following:
Tiny Touch Plate
ESP UI Headless - I’m not sure if this will work with my Rambo board or not. If someone knows, please chime in. :slight_smile:
Probably also some lube and threadlocker.

I’m also wondering if I should try to upgrade(?) from my Rambo 1.4 (I think) to the SKR that already has the new LR3 firmware, as I’m unclear whether that process is complicated or not. Might be easier/better to just order the SKR PRO1.2, 5X 2209 DRIVERS, TFT35 E3 V3 -FLASHED-.

The questions I’ve gathered so for in terms of my LR2 to LR3 upgrade are:

1. Is it even possible or a pain to update from LR2 to LR3 firmware on the Rambo 1.4?
  2. Will the ESP UI Headless work with the Rambo 1.4?
  3. Where can I source 23 to 25.3 mm tubes? The Home Depot only has 29+mm conduit, seemingly the same for Lowe’s. I need this for the Y rail as my 25.3 mm X rails are usable for the gantry. Maybe I can just scale the rail block by a few % and use that 29mm conduit?
  4. Are there any other parts, besides the custom printed/milled parts, the hardware and what I’ve mentioned above (Linear rails, end stops and end stop plugs) that are needed?

Thank you!

I think you will also need additional wiring to run the end stops, but other than that (and the tubing) I agree.

I am interested in whether the SKR is considered “better” - so will continue to watch this thread with interest!

1 Like