LR2-LR3 The Longest Conversion (AUS)

Ding ding ding, the contestant wins the grand price.

They are used to attach the plates to the beam without seating them first in a prior step.

Those screws are not needed at this step any more: https://docs.v1engineering.com/img/lr3/LR3%20(36).jpg

1 Like

Ok, then it’s chamfer round the edges of 'em then! (Or make a plastic plug to make 'em pretty).

Or both!

:thinking:

1 Like

You could use the holes to fix your Star Wars cover to the LR. :smiley:

1 Like

Use acrylic, looks great!

1 Like

Yes it does look great I must admit. Would you cut it with the LR2 do you think, or just have it laser cut at enormous expense?

I have a vague plan: am going to go with MDF for the xy plates for now, because I need the practice making things with the LR2 and I’m happy to explore some boundaries, but that doesn’t mean that it will be that way by the time it’s finished. :wink:

1 Like

Well i myself would have to cut it with the mpcnc. As i have yet to make a lr model. Someone here mad alot of it with acrylic, said they get it free from work.

Here is one i found: Laser Cut Steel LR3 Build - #36 by jjwharris

2 Likes

Free from work is exactly the best price too!

I was lucky enough to have a friend who laser cut the XY Plates then I cut the struts with the LR3, it was a bit touch and go cutting the plates, I’ve got a leaky garage, cold damp winters and hot dry summers, so that was my main reason to go acrylic over MDF…I’m glad I did tbh.

2 Likes

We have hot wet everything - so MDF needs to be well sealed. I’d like to play with acrylic, but perhaps not quite yet.

1 Like

Yeah, 39° in the room where my printer is today - LR3 is officially on hold till we get a long enough stretch of weather cool enough to print PLA! (I like to keep the printer temps below 30 for that.) But it’s OK, I have a backlog of PETG printing to do for the camper (yep that same rush job which got in the way of the LR2 - it’s finish it now or bust. See you in a couple of weeks!

My Friday update is a bit late, which is symptomatic of my life at the moment! Suffice to say I’ve been having a little bit of fun with the LR2- if it wasn’t so hot and sticky I probably would have cut the flat parts for the LR3, but MDF dust and sweat saturated tee shirts are one of my least favourite mixers. (Photo taken while leaning against the poor thing).

None the less, the van (yes that very same one that got in the way of the LR2) is now in an advanced state of disassembly, the shed in an advanced state of mess everywhere, the tv cabinets and kiddy chairs on the back burner once again. Perhaps next week… :smiley:

And I’m posting this for the benefit of all of those out there who have other things to do, who see all these “instant, trouble free builds” and get discouraged! Don’t be discouraged take your time and enjoy the mess!!!

2 Likes

Ohhh my favorite pictures ever! I love to see the shop.

2 Likes

It’s Friday already, and in life, not every hobby gets to be attended to every week.
This week, in unrelated stuff - work on the van progressed, we ‘had’ because we haven’t had time to celebrate it yet, a VERY big wedding anniversary and I did muck around a bit more with Kiri:Moto and the LR2 and remain very impressed with both.

Since our next anniversary is one of those designated with a particular precious metal, I did suggest that I should find some Gold filament and print the LR3 out of that as a gift to us both. The fact that suggestion was met with the merest hint of rolled eyes is probably an indicator of how she’s stuck out the last 49 years! :smiley:

Anyway, Kiri does contours easily - waiting to clear the bench to take a better pic before adding to the “basics” web page.

6 Likes

You could have won a Burly in gold back in the day: https://youtu.be/ZxzaJVfE_sw?t=100. :smiley:

I often have to cleverly frame the shot to avoid showing all my mess. Sometimes it shows.

1 Like

Well @DougJoseph I guess that’s why “proper” youtube “stars” have studios, and their mess stays behind!

It’s another week and my shed is now under cover while I spray contact adhesive in and around the van the interior of which is starting to look like a reverse fur ball! :open_mouth:

LR3 progress is happening slowly though - @AJG Anthony has very kindly been in touch and has sourced a local manufacturer of aluminium parts. By “local” I mean “local” to him, which is a 9,000 km round trip if I want to pick them up in person! That should spur me on, but it might actually slow me down a bit as I have a few little things in mind for the LR2 before it falls to pieces.

Another week and things should be back on track. (Three or four till the plates arrive and by then I might have started printing too.)

On an entirely different note - the Rambo board from it starred in an art photo this week - I’ve called it “life on the grid”.

4 Likes

I actually built myself a studio, but I never seem to use it. I always just record wherever the work is actually happening! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool bit of photo work there!

1 Like

That is slick!

1 Like

That really messes with my head. Really cool.

1 Like