Lowrider3 Z binding both sides

All plates are 3d printed XZ & YZ .48 layers 2 walls 31% rectilinear infill.

During assembly my z is binding to a point where I can hardly move it, wondering what plate I should try to re print first or if I should just try and get it free enough to finish the build and cut new plates from MDF/aluminum?

The rails are as loose as possible as are the blocks and I can move it up and down but there is resistance.

1 Like

The bearing blocks are loose and the rails are loose? Between the two there should be enough movement to allow to a few mm of adjustment. If there is no wiggle room see if one of yout little wood screws has a lopsided head and is pushing it.

They’re pretty loose as you can see between the rails and the part in the photos, I’ll try loosening them even more? I’ll also loosen the blocks as they’re not near as loose as the rails are.

If they are loose and it doesn;t roll something is very wrong.

Did you see the note about the bearings in teh instructions? Do all your linear rails roll smooth? Some need to be adjusted after shipping.

Yes they rolled fine before installing, I honestly think something is wrong with my xz plates. As the rails were not flat to the yz plates before I tried to screw them down. I think i’ll re print them when I get home from work with a lower layer height. Ect

Well after re printing one plate at .2 layer vs my previous .48 the linear bearings are lying much flatter and moving better, now to wait the remaining 3 hours for the other side to finish.

1 Like

X &Y move freely but need tuning, Z is not happy, hopefully I can figure out why tomorrow

You have to do some trouble shooting to narrow down the issue.

Linear rails - Test one. With no leadscrews attached, does the axis move smoothly from top to bottom? Are they aligned, Before you installed them did each rail run smooth? Adding to that you printed your YZ plates so any xy skew in your printer would also cause linear rail misalignment (parallelogram).

Leadscrews - If the rails were good and adding leadscrews messed it up, there could be an alignment issue or needs lube. Mostly likely your prints are not right. The XZ plate alignment to the lead screw are highly dependant on an accurate print, square in each direction. If you have not tested for accuracy on your printer, this is probably it.

Firmware - If you are using my firmware, drivers, and steppers this is not the issue. If you are using your own …could be.

This has not been much of an issue up to this point so

Needed some lube and to insert some bolts to trip the z limit switches.

1 Like