Lowrider3 CNC Won't Move in Y Axis, Gives Error "Printer halted. kill() called!"

Man I didn’t even notice that. Good catch!!!

1 Like

Will it go into that formation with just reversing the direction of the treads (ie treads in instead of out) or do I need to disassemble the idler setup and thread it through manually?

When I push a endstop it switches to triggered

Your belt is in the correct orientation it just needs to be on the other side of the idler pulleys

1 Like

Whatever seems easier. Just take the tension off the belt and re-feed it through, or remove the idlers and reinstall with the belt on the correct path.

4 Likes

Just fixed the belts and tried running it again. When trying to move the y axis one side seems to move, and not the other (tried reversing direction of wiring on the side that moved to make sure it wasn’t fighting itself).

Same error code after the same amount of time from what I can tell

That is strange. When I have had similar things happen in the past it has been a loose endstop connection.

Does it say anything with the code? Open loop detected, perhaps?

After kill() nothing will respond, unfortunately. TMC has some debugging available. You can send M122 to see a printout. A lot of the data gets reset after kill() though.

Are you sure the reset button on the display isn’t being pressed? That will also call kill().

This is backwards, Mike. The M119 says “open” when the switches are not pressed. It is weird verbage, from before you could switch between NC and NO. But the correct behavior for our machines in wired NC (which you said correctly) and M119 says “open” when they are closed.

Hi Jeff. Is there anything specific to check for using the M122 command? I ran it after moving the x and z axis and received slightly different results.

There’s definitely nothing after “Printer halted. Kill() called!” which only seems to trigger after trying to move in the y axis (tried moving in x and z and waiting ~30 seconds). The movement doesn’t seem to be smooth in the y axis. Moving in either direction in the y axis triggers the code within several seconds.

The reset button is the one on the front of the TFT yes? If so, it definitely isn’t being pressed, as it’s currently free-floating on the table next to the skr board

Hey man, I just finished wiring up my lowrider and ran into the same issue.
Tried moving any axis, steppers made a loud noise and after a few seconds I got the error message.

I kept searching this forum for other hints and came across another thread where this particular issue was linked to differently coiled stepper motors.
Solution: flip the two center wires.

This solved the issue for me:)

Not quite sure if this could apply to your case as you’re only struggling with one axis.

Are you using the same stepper motors for the other axis?
Otherwise, I’d give it a try.

Cheers
Adrian

Hi Adrian, I’m not sure what you mean by flip the two center wires. Can you link the post that you saw it in?

Hi Greg,

You can find the thread here:

https://forum.v1e.com/t/kill-called/36943

Since the description isn’t much better in this thread, please see below picture. Hope that helps.

Cheers
Adrian

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks! Currently I’m going to skip that fix since I’d be worried about damaging the motors during it, and they are all the same. Additionally, I just checked the wires and they seem to match.

I also just reread what Jeff and Mike posted earlier, about normally open vs normally closed. When I run M119 I’m still getting all “Open”, so I assume that means they’re all upside down. Should I go through and flip them, or is there a way to switch to Normally Closed mode?

1 Like

I messed up my belts the first time too. Double check your x axis too. I messed up mine through the core as well (same mistake).

They are supposed to say “open” if they are not being pressed. Even though they are NC.

There are rows for ola, olb. Those indicate an open loop on coil a or coil b. But they won’t be correct unless the motors are engaged. Since Y is the issue, you have to catch it after engaging Y, but before the kill, which sounds hard.

S2g is a short to ground.

I would try disconnecting Y1 and try moving Y2. And then do the opposite. If it works with only one motor, then look very closely at the other. The steppers are really just two wires wrapped around a shaft with magnets in the case. They are dead simple.

The correct order for the wires is AABB. Where one coil is AA and the other is BB. There is a neat trick to tell which two wires are for one coil. If you disconnect the motor (all this is with the power off) and put a wire between AA, the motor shaft is significantly harder to turn. That is a good way to test if the motor is wired correctly.

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the suggestions, I removed each side one by one, and the error persisted with both. Unfortunately, while testing this one of the hold downs broke, so I’ll need to reprint that before doing much more actual movement tests.

OLA and OLB both show two stars next to them, but I can’t run M122 after running Y. One thing I did forget to mention earlier is that after triggering a y move, it will attempt to move and then immediately crash. I can’t give any secondary instructions after the first Y axis move, but can in any other direction. I’ve also just left it sitting for 5 minutes after running x and z axis movements with no crash.

Oh and individually triggering the endstops does switch the M119 return from Open to Triggered for each

It is somewhere between the drivers and the motors. Can you swap the drivers with Z? Or maybe try swapping the motors and wires?

When I am out of ideas, I blame wiring. Because almost anything can happen when the wires are bad. Sometimes that is right, and sometimes wrong. We need something to narrow it down. If we can’t see any pattern, we have to give up and start replacing stuff.

I will say, this is not a common symptom.