LowRider-inspired Foam Ripper

It’s been a good day…

and I can retire, satisfied.

– David

1 Like

Finally, the last of the my initial batch of four painted tiles…

I have an incredibly talented teenage grand-daughter who loves to sketch… and fills sketchbook after sketchbook with very detailed scenes, lots of activity, and recurring characters; i.e. there’s an almost “Where’s Waldo” quality to it. She imagines something in her head and it seems to magically flow out her fingertips. It’s really fascinating to watch and I’m very proud of her. This was a quick snapshot of just one page among many…

– David

3 Likes

Those are great - especially the one of you grand daughter’s sketch. Now I “need” a frikin’ laser beam…

1 Like

Thanks for your concerns. I went ahead & ordered the EleksMaker Mana 3 board @dkj4linux mentioned & I had originally planned to buy. I will test the motors with the keyestudio board & see where it goes from there.

And a self-portrait…

Here it is being lasered… with “Raiders of the Lost Ark” on TV in the background…

– David

4 Likes

And my kids’ 19th anniversary photo…

I’m starting to get quite the eclectic collection…

:astonished:

4 Likes

Alright! All this silliness aside, on to some more serious subject matter…

Things are looking up… :thinking:

– David

5 Likes

This is getting out of hand… I want a laser… you have a designated machine for the laser? Would it be difficult to reproduce similar results with a laser mounted on a MPCNC?

To do the engravings like this, you can certainly use an mpcnc.

2 Likes

Lasers can be put on most any machine… MPCNC or as here, the loosely LR-inspired, rolling-gantry, machine build that I documented earlier in this thread.

This is a Grbl-based machine (I prefer Grbl for laser use…) and I use Jeff’s V1Pi /CNC.js on a Pi-3B+ to control it. It has rapidly become my favorite machine… it’s a nice size for most of what I want to do.

– David

1 Like

So you are using a NEJE 6W?

No, this a little 2.5W Eleksmaker laser I got off Banggood… and works great for engraving ceramic tile. I recently got a Neje 6W laser module… but haven’t hooked it up yet, as it supposedly uses 3.3v PWM and I don’t have controllers on hand that have 3.3v PWM output. I know there are converters and controllers out there… just prefer to work out of my current stash right now. – David

Thats encouraging! (not that you don’t have the right gear for the 6W, but that it’s perfectly doable with 2.5W) Thanks - Torbjørn

1 Like

Knowing little about lasers other than having an interest, I’m curious: Would that particular power laser be capable of pictures/writing on wood or ???

2.5W is plenty. Often larger lasers just have larger dots, not more power/area.

2 Likes

Thanks1 The etchings on tile are fascinating, being able to also do wood makes it more tempting.

Maybe if you construct a giant foam-core badger…

1 Like

Badger? We doan’ need no steenkin’ badger!

Wait, wrong script… :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Now go away, before I taunt you a second time!

1 Like

Okay! Just a little more absurdity…

And, with no frolicking lady-friends in sight, it’s just my good buddy, Mac, and me…

– David

3 Likes