Lowrider general questions

Morning all!

I built the MPCNC a few years back and pretty instantly realized that the lowrider would have been the better option for what I normally do. It looks like the V3 is a much better option. A few questions on the build:

“The build can be removed from the table for easy storage”
How much time does it take to re-align everything?
Those that want a 4x8 work area, what are you using for a table?

12 vs 24 volts, a big difference?

How many of you all can set it and forget it?

Thanks!

Andrew

2 Likes

The rail stays on. Only the belts and the gantry come off. So there isn’t any more alignment than just turning it on in the morning, assuming nothing gets bent out of whack when moving it.

24V helps in only one area. More torque when going faster. It has the same torque when moving slowly, but at high speeds, 24V has more torque. “fast” and “more torque” are relative, and reasonable speeds are plenty strong for 12V. I am still a big fan of using 12V, but they cost about the same, so using 24V is not a big deal.

1 Like

Like Jeff says, pretty much zero. Bu the time you have the belts put back on, it’s just like it was.

I did look at designing one, but getting the lumber home and the cost of same was prohibitive. I would suggest a table of the appropriate size with extensions.on the sides for the belts and rails. There are a few good designs in the build logs.

Effectively zero. At one point I think went through the theoretical math. The only axis that might benefit is Z though.

As in just home the machine and start? No problem. I have my homing routine square up the machine, and then it just works. I still need to set my work origin, of course, but aside from that, no real adjustment necessary. Well, unless I go and rebuild the machine again. (I keep upgrading stuff. Still haven’t put the 12mm acryllic YZ plates on, so another rebuild coming soon.)

3 Likes

I concur with the earlier posts. My LR3 (upgraded from LR2) is set to home and auto-square, and really is what you mentioned regarding set it and forget it.

My table build is documented at the link below, and it is basically two torsion boxes (think Paulk workbenches) bolted to each other and fastened down to the base.