LowRider CNC- Full sheeter

Thanks for everything. Looking forward to the low rider even though I probably won’t build one for the apartment. The MPCNC makes too much noise / dust as is ha

Alright sorry for the lack of updates…It got super crazy with orders right after Christmas. Christmas money I guess.

I have most of the parts in that are needed. I still need to tweak the plastic parts a bit and label them with the site or logo or something.

I know a bunch of you want to beta test it but I want to try and release this thing real soon. So is anyone ready to build a table and the machine? Meaning do you have access to a CNC router to cut out a few pieces and a printer or two to print pieces. I don’t have build instructions yet so I can provide pics only at first. Also…Things might change so no getting pissed if I revise the same dam part 8 times. I’m looking for just a person or two that can get it together and make some test cuts. There are still a few tiny bugs to work out. I think I have all the “hard” to get parts in stock but you will need to get the nuts and bolts on your own for now. I don’t want to place a large hardware order to find out I need everything .25" longer or shorter.

So if you think it will take a month or two to get around to it the beta test isn’t for you.

I am going to try and update the firmware and cut out a full set of mp3dp parts right now…all at once…so crazy. It took me hours to learn fusion and get all the CAM set up last night.

BooYah!!! About an hour long cut, 6.6mm HDPE, 13mm/s 3.3mm cut depth with a .5mm finish pass, 1/8" 2 flute downcut bit. Flawless! Being my first serious fusion 360 tool path I am pretty stoked, and the LowRider killed it. I have to double check the plunge rate but it was too high for the downcut in this material.

The parts have an amazing cut finish and are extremely square.

I didn’t think I needed or wanted a full sheet cnc…Well maybe it’s time to ramp up production of some kits because this thing makes big jobs sooooo much easier.

I took some video, it is pretty boring because you can’t really see anything but the machine moving. I’ll upload it tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.

What are you using for the spoil board?

Looks good!!

How is it compared to the MPCNC in terms of rigidity? I don’t have time or room to make another full sheeter, but I’d love to beta test an MPCNC retrofit on my 4x7 build if you end up making one.

I made the table a little more than 1/2" thinner than I wanted so I could use that Styrofoam house insulation as a spoil board…it’s awesome. $7/sheet and I offset it with 1/2" molding under the wheels. Pretty ideal I think.

It is kinda odd, it does not seem as rigid as the MPCNC but cuts better. Maybe the weight of the router helps damped vibrations.Not sure about that.

I have to say anything bigger than 2.5’ this is the way to go I think. I built the MPCNC as a cnc for small parts, 6"x6" tops. Turns out I kept making it bigger. This thing though, jeez I am a little impressed, I thought it might have to cut slower because of it’s size…nope it can handle much faster I think. Pretty sure that was at least 1/3 faster than I do with the mpcnc because of the depths I used and that was with a very old bit, the first downcut I bought, I thought for sure I would break it so I didn’t wan to lose a new one…cheap bastard. This was the first large cut and it was super dead on. Very easy to use. I will be cutting one of my MPCNC’s down for sure now.

The damn day I start printing parts for the MPCNC and I see this, which is what I wanted all along. (over excited reaction)

I need to get something built very soon as I have work waiting that I can’t delay any longer.

You asked for beta testers with access to a 3dPrinter and a CNC, how many/what type of parts need to be CNC’d?
I might just ask the local guys to CNC them for me.

P.S. Can provide engineering based feedback.

Maybe the next one should be the high rider, and is suspended from the ceiling, like this camera gantry. Then if you were short on space, you could just throw the sheet on the roof rack and park the car in the garage ?

Hey Vicious1,

I have been working on a mod of the MPCNC that also had a double Y rail setup similar to yours in the last couple of weeks (just scribbles on paper mostly). Very cool.

Can I get in on the alpha testing ?

@PJM
Files are on thingiverse now.

@Jeff
I was just watching that video this weekend! I’ve seen something similar built with garage door tracks.

I just have to chime in here. We have the low rider, the high rider and I present to you the wall rider.

wall rider

Not sure if I can post this here. I am in no way affialted with these guys… I love my MPCNC and have started printing the Low Rider.

Now I need to buy a 3d printer. Time to go shopping for one and get this thing printed and built. This is EXACTLY what I’ve been hunting for … hunting for years! Much thanks, and I’d be more than happy to purchase all the parts through you to get you some profit. However I can support the development of this!

I should have the parts for sale soon.

With these new parts, I would need 2 spacers, and one of each of the corners, but doubled, because that’s just for one side, right?

yes, times 2.

Does this use the same Arduino/Ramps as the MPCNC? Is the Z-Axis still a threaded rod or lead screw? I just purchased the MPCNC kit and I think I want to make this instead.

Good bye warm garage parking. Looks like I will be parking outside for the rest of the winter… :frowning:

Ramps or whatever.

z axis is 2 leadscrews.

As the BOM is getting finalized, it is looking like $350 for the hardware kit including an LCD (kinda vital). Bummed. I thought for sure it would be much closer to the MPCNC.

Not sure about the printed and cut parts yet. Less printing, but cnc time is more expensive, I can’t run it all night unattended.

Interesting. I would have guessed it was close too. Which it’s pretty close, if the $350 includes the LCD. It also has 2 lead screws, and some goalie wheels.

Is the reason the LCD is vital is because the machine can’t easily be moved? Or is it hard to keep a computer connected?