LowRider 3 CNC - printed holder for Kobalt Router's Wrench(es) and (ER-11 compatible) Collet-Nut Set

I’m slightly ahead of the NDA cutoff date, however, since Ryan made the mount download available, and all my videos related to the new router are still unlisted, maybe I can just leave this here for now.

Download link: Printables

This video gives all the juicy details, plus has some gratuitous plasma cutting thrown in too!

The original part was for Makita router’s wrenches and collet. This one is for Kobalt router’s wrench(es) and (ER-11 compatible) collet-nut set.

Prints without supports.

See pics or video for the tiny screw I used in the lower corner. It’s a little wood screw, about 3mm or so in diameter. The other screw is the M5 that’s already holding the Z endstop switch. The part I remixed already had a capture slot for the M5 nylock nut, so I kept that.

Includes options for both left side (X-min) and right side (X-max), and variations for both normal size YZ plate and the extra tall YZ plate originally remixed by Dan @SupraGuy on V1E forum.

If you use it, post your make here with a pic or two —and award it some stars! :blush:

I’m also including my SketchUp files for each part.

This is remixed from “V1 Lowrider 3 LR3 Collet Holder” by a fellow LowRider maker: mobiusl on Thingiverse, January 20, 2023.

My PayPal tip jar: https://paypal.me/design8studio

Various LowRider 3 CNC remixes:

View all my models and remixes on Printables:

*Amazon product links are affiliate links.

1 Like

I know it isn’t. But I love that this feels like leaked secrets! Printing right away. Have you priced the wrenches yet?

1 Like

This probably will wind up being a case of, if you want one, let me know the price range you would want to pay, i.e. think it would be worth, and I can then figure out if I make some for that price. I’m totally willing as I really enjoy messing with the LR3 plasma rig, and basically I’m always on the lookout for an excuse!

I probably should have Googled first… This one is not a bad price and is decently thin — 3.6mm — perhaps thin enough to work, and is only $8.99

https://amzn.to/3QFlCCy

I’ll still make one for someone if they like, and I think I could do $9 or $10, so basically that price or close — and the question becomes shipping. I think the standard minimum shipping fee on Amazon is $3.99. I could do that. On Amazon if you buy more than a certain amount, they waive the shipping charge. I could do that, but my minimum would probably be a little higher than theirs.

Isn’t there a Doug Prime with free shipping? :sweat_smile:

Let’s make that happen! LOL

3 Likes

Makes it hard to resist doing this when you have a specific part for my remix, lol. But I don’t know that I want to put a printed part over top of those acrylic YZ plates… Dilemmas…

This is a thought but how about using the 3d print to make a casting then using epoxy resin?

Would be much more expensive but keep that see thru look

Will this holder work for the MPCNC? Or only for the LowRider?

It could certainly be attached to any CNC that’s using the Kobalt router. It’s got some aesthetic design lines that are based on the LowRider, but they have nothing to do with the function. One of the screw holes is made for having a larger (M5) that already exists on the LR3, while the other screw hole is for a smaller wood screw. One might want to (I might!) remix it to just use a couple of small wood screws instead of the M5… The M5 decision was not my finest moment. Loosening and then re-tightening the existing M5 screw that holds an LR3 end-stop means one has to redo their check for the gantry being tram with the table after installing it on an LR3. :-\

I thought it was a good space conscious design. Using a hole that is already made and maximizing the useable space. Plus you only have to redo level once and then you are done, it isn’t like it’s coming on and off everyday.

1 Like

That was my thinking. I’m currently making a version that has a 10mm hold to slip over the existing M5 nut, and allows installing without removing it. I guess I could offer both in the Printables listing.

EDITED to add: I’m remembering now that the listing was a remix of one that just held collets, and it may have already used the existing M5 screw, so I may not be the originator of that part of it.

1 Like

UPDATE: New remix now available for the Kobalt version:

Printables

This new remix has basically only one change: it does not require loosening and retightening of an existing M5 screw on the LowRider that holds a Z end-stop switch. So far, the new remix is only available for the Kobalt router variation. There is a 10mm hole that allows this part to be placed over the M5 nylock nut on the screw that holds the Z end-stop switch.

Also note that this remix, like the December 4, 2023 remix before, also allows for V1E LowRider makers wanting to combine regular size YZ plates + my hidden belt mod + this holder.