LowRider 3 CNC - Large Drag Chain 90 curve raceway (SEE VIDEO: Large Drag Chain on both X and Y axes)

As promised a long while back, I finally got around to posting this on Printables, since I had deactivated my Patreon account (I did not care for their business model).

Download: Printables

Description from Printables listing:

As shown and discussed in this video:

As described in the video, attached are both printable files and editable SketchUp files. This content was previously exclusively for supporters on Patreon, but I did not care for the Patreon business model, and I shut down my account there, and have been working to openly share the content freely here and elsewhere.

Note: The original version of this is a big part, so I in case you don’t have a printer with a very large print volume, I’m including a 3-piece version so you can still print it and assemble it. I advise using both glue and screws and nuts. One clever glue approach is to use both epoxy and CA glue, for the best of both (CA for fast adhesion, and epoxy for greater adhesion and strength).

I used my Ender Extender 400XL to print the whole part as a single piece.

If you don’t want to print this out of plastic, and you have access to a LowRider or other CNC, you could mill something like this out of plywood.

IMPORTANT: It is likely that my LowRider’s braces are spaced differently than others. The spacing I needed (from brace to brace) was 198.86 mm. If you decide to use this design, please measure carefully the distance between your last two braces, and then edit the length of the “Part C (Straight).stl” as needed. You can use the free version of SketchUp to edit the included file.

Re. the 3-piece print, this pic is color-coded simply for illustration of the separate parts:

The three pieces are:

• Part A (90 Curve).stl

• Part B (Connector).stl

• Part C (Straight).stl

All assembled:

Please note: the connector part should be printed as oriented in the STL print file, not as shown when assembled. This achieves better strength regarding the layer lines. The image below illustrates its print orientation.

Connector part — print orientation:

For those with a very large print bed — Drag Chain 90 raceway curve ver 1.0.stl

Note: This design is made to work in conjunction with my other printable large drag chain designs, particularly those linked below:

My PayPal tip jar: https://paypal.me/design8studio

Various LowRider 3 CNC remixes:

View all my models and remixes on Printables:

*Amazon product links are affiliate links.

3 Likes

So I have an Ender 3 Pro and had to go with the split model.

I remixed the straight part for length, however, it looks like the entire split needs to be shifted.

My screw holes look lined up, but the expanded width where the connected is placed is to wide to fit in the hanger.

It looks like the whole split needs to be shifted 10-12mm towards the 2nd brace.

My printer is tied up at the moment for a bit, so I may just zip tie it in place for now

1 Like

Got it. Couple of thoughts here. One is that because different LR3 makers will have a different distance between their braces, it’s challenging to try to come up with a design that will fit everyone without needing remix adjustments. The second thing is, I’m not sure if you’re suggesting a change to my design, or commenting about a change needed in your remix.

Sorry, to be more clear:

The place you chose to split is at the absolute closest point to the holes that connect to the outside mount. This is consistent for everyone

My suggestion would be to take the joint and slide it 15mm closer to the 2nd brace mount

this should give plenty of clearance for it to actually sit down inside of the last mount, as it would move the thick part to a point that doesn’t overlap the mount.

I have to assume that no ones braces will be closer than 100mm apart. I have 2 more braces than were suggested by the calculator and still come out with ~157mm between braces.

Sliding that joint down a little will allow it to seat properly.

Ah. Got it. I’ll try to look into whether that can still have the curve part fitted in normal size print beds. Been a while since I had done that.

For an Ender 3, there’s still plenty of room with a 220mm build plate.

Another option would maybe be a special mount that can hold it better, but I’d have to look closer at the side closer to the strut plate and see if it could work. Maybe having the mount offset 15mm in the other direction might work too

1 Like

More pictures in case it helps:

1 Like

Got it