LowRider 3 CNC: Aggravation Game (oak version) - 2-sided wooden game boards for family fun

I make and sell these 2-sided wooden game boards for family fun: Oak Double Sided Aggravation Wahoo Marbles Board Game Hand Painted 24 1/4 inch x 3/4 inch by Design8Studio Doug Joseph, family fun, heirloom – Design8Studio

A while back I posted an MDF version. These are plywood with oak facing.

7 Likes

Cool. I don’t think I’ve seen a 5-person version of the game.

Our boards have spots for 4 players and we usually play in teams where the two people sitting across from each other are a team.

I used my MPCNC to cut a few out. I’m also in the process of making a small travel version using pins from cribbage instead of marbles. The idea is that it will fold in half and the pieces and dice can store inside of it.

3 Likes

@niget2002

These are 4-player on one side, and 6-player on the other side.

I make these bigger than others for sale. I often see 20" — mine are a shade over 24", and my marbles are 1" where some are 1/2" or 5/8" marbles.

Ha. Yeah. that is 6-sided…

1 Like

Just out of curiousity…how much are you selling them for? I haven’t crossed into trying to make some side cash with my cnc but always keep it in the back of my head.

The price may surprise you until 1. you realize what all goes into it, and 2. you research what others like it are selling for on Etsy.

You can not only buy it from me directly (*link above) but also on my Etsy store. I make considerably less if it gets bought through Etsy.

Etsy knows that customers like free shipping, so they encourage sellers to offer it. They reward it with increased visibility. For bigger/heavier items, that is a substantial burden to bear, and it typically gets passed on to the customer in higher pricing. This means that ultimately, free shipping disproportionately favors people who live farther away from you, since shipping costs are higher over larger distances.

Then there is the listing fee, and then the sale fee, and then the processing charge fee. This is all on top of your materials cost, your labor cost, and don’t forget that any paints, stains, poly’s or finishes are part of your materials, as well as consumables like brushes, rags, blades, bits, sanding pads, etc, etc, etc.

You can see my selling price by clicking the link I posed above, or by visiting my Etsy shop, which is Design8StudioShop.etsy.com

1 Like

Shoot, I didn’t even follow your link. I could have answered my own question. Sorry about that.

So all things said, do you think Etsy is a good place to sell your stuff? Do you get a lot of traffic on Etsy? More effect than, say, facebook marketplace?

Appreciate your thoughts.

1 Like

Probably all the markets (Amazon, eBay, Etsy, etc) have a price associated with gaining access to their buyers. Etsy is a market based on a niche well suited to the kinds of things I make (and many of us make). I had a sale within a very short time of putting up a listing.

For a sense of the fees involved, and the pain of covering shipping on a big heavy item, my first sale was $119.95 paid in the customer, and I got $88.02 of that. So that was $31.93 taken out, a total of 26.6%.

Another thing to be aware of: Etsy defaults all new sellers into their paid offsite marketing program, and if you don’t opt out, then if they feel like they can connect a sale of yours to their offsite marketing efforts, they ding you for another 12% fee on top of all the other fees. I opted out. It takes a couple days to get that effect off any future sales.

Within a day or so I had a second sale, and a third. The third was a result of my own direct connection with someone, but the first two were total strangers.

I don’t know if selling would be either cheaper or easier in another market, but I tend to think cheaper is possible, but easier seems like a stretch.

PS: I have no clue what the fees are like on Facebook marketplace.