Lowrider-3 aluminum strut plate

Lowerd to 300mm/min slowed the router way down to about 2 that stopped the Aluminum from gumming up the bit and gave me nice clean cuts also used a single flute bit

1 Like

@marvinlange, am I reading EstlCam config in your earlier post correctly Lowrider-3 aluminum strut plate - #4 by marvinlange ? Did you manage 2mm depth of cut passes at 300mm/min feed rate with your carbide single flute bit?

2 Likes

Yes sir… but keep in mind it was a very soft aluminum… made to be trim on sheds was only 2mm thick I found if I moved to slow the bit would heat the aluminum and stick to bit clocking flute… I ruined server pieces before settling on that speed also had to turn dewalt router down about 2 to help keep cool. Tried using WD 40 that was available but did not seam to help other making chips stick to everything :frowning: :disappointed:

2 Likes

Ethanol is good for aluminum milling. Makes cuts really clean by cooling and lubricating. And it evaporates easily so it doesn’t leave a mess. Of course it smells quite a bit, but whether that is a pro or a con depends on the operator.

2 Likes

Cool had no Idea looks like its time to fire up the still :slight_smile: and buy a bigger fire Extinguisher.

2 Likes

Almost thier just wish I would have rembered to put Z axis. On the gantry before I put the ends on. Waiting on new enclosure big enough for my Rambo board and PI 4 also going to use aviation abulk head plugs

3 Likes

Received today thank you perfect !!!

5 Likes

I tried this and you are so right. I love it. No mess and aluminum is actually pretty easy to mill now. Thank you!

3 Likes

The fire hazard Marvin mentioned is good to keep in mind even though aluminum rarely sparks. I’ve used 96% stuff myself (cheap bio-ethanol sold as anti-freeze), but I’ve also seen a recommendation to dilute to below 50% for less flammable solution.

4 Likes

I never walk away, new smoke detectors in the shop, and have a new extinguisher next to my CNC. A neighbor 5 houses down caught his garage on fire not too long back. Not having liquid everywhere is magic to me and so awesome.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Nice! Your solid diamond front plate looks great, and sturdy! Liked the tour, appreciated learning about the Mods/improvements you made along the way, will be stealing some for my build :slight_smile: Cheers for the shout out, great to see the braces being used already!

3 Likes
1 Like

Cool build, thank you for the videos!

Looks like you 3D printed your drag chain like I did. Would that happen to be my design from Printables?

Not sure printed it couple years ago for my Lowrider 2 that I never finished as it would not work on my Steal table I welded for it. I think I downloaded it from thingy-verse. but if it was thanks it works great :slight_smile:
type or paste code here

1 Like

If it was that long ago then it was not mine (my design is too new to be it).

In the video posted in the other thread I saw that your control box is also pretty big. Would you mind taking a few pictures for me and telling the dimensions and how you fixed it to the lowrider?

Sure working 12 hr shift at Rescue will take some later tonight when I get off

1 Like

Here is a video of how i mounted my control box

This is the box I used

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. It’s smaller than it looks. :slightly_smiling_face: