Looking for Someone who is knowledgeable with Chinese cnc lathes

The company I work for just acquired a cheap Chinese cnc wood Lathe, and since I run the cnc router they tasked me with getting it running. Unfortunately I am a carpenter by trade and not very knowledgeable when it comes to Wiring, new controllers, etc. We were looking for someone who could come take a look at it and see if we could get it runner asap. Obviously we would be willing to pay.

Thanks
Michael

Welcome to the V1 forums. It would be helpful to know where in the world you are located.

Generally this forum is for people using V1 Engineering machines, most of which they built themselves. Not saying you won’t find help, but you’re more likely to find a “we’ll do the best we can to help you sort it out” rather than “I’ll fly in and fix that for you” level of assistance.

We’ll need details of controllers, firmware, and software in order to do you any good. Pictures will be a big help, but the forum has controls built in to reduce spam and bots, so you’ll need to participate a bit on the forums before you’re allowed to post them. Do some searches, reply to some posts, give out some likes, and you’ll get the needed experience level for posting photos pretty quickly.

Ok will do, we are located in Edmonton Alberta Canada, Ill reply with photos as soon as it lets me, until then, if someone is interested in looking into it more you can email me at

michael@specializedstairs.com.

All I really know is my boss bought a Richauto controller for it that doesn’t work the best itself. When we try and move the y axis in the positive direction it works, but when we try the negative y direction, it moves again in the positive direction. Moving it in the both x directions works fine. The z however, doesn’t work at all. Not sure if this is the wiring, controller, or user error.

For 4-wire stepper motors, moving in only one direction can mean one of the 4 wires isn’t connected or has a break.
Some machines have a homing sequence where one axis won’t move until others have homed. Don’t know if that’s the case here.

Well, I’m in the same city, at least.

Stepper drivers need motor power, logic power an enable/disable pin, a direction pin and a step pulse. Optionally either pins or switches to select microstepping.

Operating in one direction only can be an jssue with the direction pin. This sometimes happens with some of our polulo drivers, but something similar might be at fault.

It could also be motor wiring, of course, but that tends to come with weird noises and definitely not smooth motion.

I’m not familiar with the controller, I will look it up…

I found this (and other) image, first thing, I’d check the wire to the Y “DIR” pin, and the 5V wire to the Z axis stepper drivers. Also check that the shield wires sre good, getting ground to the drivers.

1 Like

This sounds like a bad wire. One of the 4 isn’t connected completely or is broken. I’d start there.

Makes sense to me.

We actually figured out what it was. We had a professional come in, and he told us that the controllers have to be specifically programed by the people that put the machine together. Because we didn’t have the controller when we bought it, so we ordered one online that looked to be the right one.

2 Likes