Lineman on a pole

OK I will give them a try I have been using mostly amazon cheapo’s to learn with but a couple from amana I think was the name and they are a lot tuffer and seemed to be sharper and cut faster I will definatley try the Whiteside Thank You

I have not been using my colt much, but it has lasted several months of Cnc work and does not seem to be slowing. I got it for work a while before making my Cnc; otherwise I would have got the dewalt.

I agree on the bit advice. I have some Whiteside bits (4 solid carbides and a fly cutter) and they all have treated me well. Spetool is also pretty good, especially their steep flute solid carbides for aluminum work.

This is all budget stuff though. After you get your feeds and speeds nailed down, you can get some good value out of higher end carbide (Amana, CMT, etc).

1 Like

Ok thank you I will definitely try some Whiteside bits

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. By workflow I mean the step-by-step process you used from CAD to CAM. What programs did you use, etc. Any details would be much appreciated!

I am also curious about your workflow. My brain comes to a brick wall when I imagine forming cam around that model. I am interested in learning your overall strategy, like what cam program, and what roughing and finishing strategies you use.

Like, I am fine using some 2d contours and pocketing operations to get the shapes I need for simpler parts, but it seems artwork cannot be done that way very easy. But I could be wrong… I am just now entering the world of art where it crosses into my hobby of Cnc.

I don’t have much to tell I get the files off etsy download them. Then I use desk proto software to setup the cnc process I pick the size bit I want to use or bits of in doing a two step piece . Like on this lineman I used an 1/8th inch cutter to get most of the material off and then I switched to a 2mm ball for finish and contour . Save the file load out in repetier host set my zero points and start the machine . The desk proto software makes it easy if I already know size I want and thickness I can set a cut up in a few minutes. I left out setting material size and thickness as the first steps in setting up my cuts . Sorry still new to this forum stuff and sharing what I do. I guess I could do a video of enough people wanted to know but you can download the desk proto program with a free trial. Let me know if you have any more questions which you probably will because I don’t think I explained it very well.

2 Likes

First I’ve heard of desk pro, are you using the free version or an upgraded one? Does the gcode it generates require any additional processing to be compatible with whatever board you’re using?

Whatever the case–Beautiful Work!

Thanks for the info!

Looks like he didn’t make a typo, it is DeskProto. They have a free version and then three tiers above that. It looks like the free version is limited in how complex of a project you can do. Essentially one part at a time with one tool type…

2 Likes

Yes it is desk proto I know the trial was limited but you could do full 3d cnc cuts with it if I remember right. I bought the hobby version which seems to do most of what I have wanted to do far. I sold some equipment and invested in some software while I had a little extra cash I also got V CARVE PRO but have no idea how to use it yet but looks like an awesome piece of software once you learn it

1 Like

Good song to go with the carving.

I agree that is a good song love the old country.

First off, Fantastic looking piece of work. Great inspiration of what can be done.
Been looking at Desk Proto software, using Estlcam so far.
Cutting a lot of foam board trying different things and settings, learning alot.
Do you remember what post processor you used with Desk Proto?

Carl

I used a marlin post processor on of the ones they recommend on here i would have to look when I get home and see which exact one it wa

Thank You for your quick reply.

Very beautiful art piece.

Very much interested in trying it out, I request a copy of gcode

Love it! How have you learned to do this kind of carving? What would you recommend for a beginner with a newly built LR3? Do you have suggestions how I can transform 2D images of my pet into something 3dish like your results?

@CNCMaker I have seen you asking about doing 3D/2.5D relief carvings across a lot of projects, most of them over 2 years old, so you may not get a lot of responses from them. I just wanted to put that out there to temper expectations.

Where I would like to help you out in your questions, 1st, I will say that a lot of the relief carving strategies really depends on the CAD/CAM software that you are using and if it is capable of doing that type of tool path. I know the LR# itself is capable of doing it, so it all boils down to the software you are using to create the tool paths. I know EstlCAM will do it, I am just not 100% familiar with that as I have only used it sparingly. Vectric V-Carve/Aspire, Carbide Create (paid version), Fusion 360, and some others have the tools to do it as well. Once you figure out what software you are using, then I would recommend hitting up the YouTubes for tutorials on how to do it and follow along. I know of some, but they are software specific, so I don’t want to tell you to go there is you are not using that software.

2nd:

I believe there are some websites you can go to (I don’t know any off the top of my head and would have to Google them myself), that can transform 2D images into 3D model files that you would then import to use in the software you are using. This is a big production though, so there are a few out there that will also do it, but it can cost you. Again, a google or youtube search on that may guide you in the direction that will give you the best results.

I personally use Vectric V-Carve, and have been very successful in doing some 3D carves, But V-Carve is a paid software that is a bit on the pricy side, but to me (and only to me) it was $$ very well spent for what I have wanted and accomplished with it so far. Just some food for thought, and I hope I have been able to help and at least get you pointed in the right direction!

Happy Carving!

3 Likes

There are people on facebook that can turn a picture into a 3d carving you can do. I use v-carve pro for most of my carving. I started with desk proto software they have a free version you can do quite a bit with
on facebook try Dario Risteski he does a lot of really good 3D modeling. He also has a package you can get with ton’s of really detailed 3D models and you get a year of new models he designs too I got that when I started and it has been great . I think he charged $50 to add another year onto the new model’s way worth it .

WOW! Truly impressive!