LED matching Ambient lighting for TV

Per:

Here’s a separate thread.

This is a pretty good HowTO: https://youtu.be/ZYxD263iS1E

There’s a premade Rpi image called Hyperbian that runs the Hyperion software, run an HDMI capture through it and you’re good to go.

The really nice thing about the raspberry pi software is that it can interface with a bunch of different LED setups.

You can control them with a logic level shifter on your Rpi, or use an existing WLED setup.
My 75" TV took over 5m of LEDs around the very outside edge, so I had to mount mine in a couple of inches to avoid needing to add extra lights.

Configuration of Hyperion can be a bit daunting as it’s not super intuitive, but even my dumb ass was able to get it going, and I’ll be happy to answer any questions if you guys hit other pitfalls.

1 Like

This looks like a fun project. I assume the sync with screen functionality doesn’t work with a smart TV only since there is no output from the TV itself? Is there a workaround for that use case? The majority of our viewing is using the Apps on the TV.

There is a commercial product that uses a camera to capture the video, but I don’t know how effective that is.
I just run a Chromecast with Google TV through mine, so you could still stream with apps, just a different interface.

Edit, here’s said commercial product: Govee Immersion - RGBIC LED TV Backlights

2 Likes

This is on my list of rainy day projects for sure. Thanks for the link, that video seems to explain it all.

If I hadn’t had defective parts that I needed to swap out and such, this would have only taken a couple of hours, and it’s generally fun to turn on when watching a movie or w/ever.

1 Like

Thanks for the link! I bought one to try it out so I’ll let you guys know how it works out.

1 Like

I know it’s an old topic, but I did that for my PC monitor. It is waaaay easier than for a TV. :smiley: Google Prismatik (unofficial fork) https://github.com/psieg/Lightpack and go for it. :smiley: Brilliant for the eyes in dark rooms, pretty neat for playing games. :stuck_out_tongue: