Lathe recommendations

This is Alil off topic but I’m planning on making a metal lathe and was curious if anyone had done this, pictures etc. If like to build rather then buy. This will be the next project. I like the geared 3d printed lathe on instructables but can’t find any video of it.

1 Like

I started building a Gingery Lathe a while back but life got in the way and I never finished it. I hope to eventually get back to it. Here’s someone that has completed it.

Gingery has a cool build series with multiple machines. Here’s the first in the series.

3 Likes

I think that’s a very big club! I wonder if there’s a case for an MPML - I have or had quite a few of the patterns made in timber, but then as it did for you, life and a house renovation got in the way - by the time I surfaced again I realised that building my own lathe was a completely useless exercise, so I did what any sensible young man would do, almost ordered a cheap min lathe, didn’t and decided that 3d printing the patterns would be very cool.

I have drawn some, but am now thinking that perhaps a lathe would be a nice way to learn about printing with PC blend and nylon.

When I run out of projects I’ll get back to it, and then the mill. :smiley:

1 Like