Lathe Motor Help

I have a friend who has let the smoke out of a wood lathe motor. The lathe is a Grizzly G0456. This lathe was built around 2008 but the control motor and circuit board are no longer available. He has found a 2200w lathe servo motor and controller that he thinks will work? his current motor is rated at 8500rpm but he never uses half of that. Will a servo motor work?

If you have an electric motor shop nearby, I’d take the motor there. Most times the motor can either be rewound/refurbished, or they might be able to cross reference a direct replacement unit that will work based on the motor spec plate. The servo motor “might” work. Looking at the parts schematic from Grizzly it appears to be a face frame mounted unit.
I’d also check the motor control unit/electronics board. When I was in industry most time a blown capacitor/relay/contactor on a DC motor control unit was the culprit rather than the motor

2 Likes

Thank you John. The board is new, and the motor shops don’t want much to do with it. I did have quite a chat with a gentleman about to close his doors and retire. It turns out Grizzly manufactured their own motors, so when the stock was gone it was gone. I have found some treadmill motors that might work, they are rated for 90vdc. I’m not sure if I can double and run at 180vdc, the tag only says 90vdc?

No it will burn up in short order. What is the drive boards output power range?

It says 0-180. Many of the motors are either 90vdc or 130vdc. There is a large heat sink and with the proper resistor they say it will run up to a 3hp motor.

Should work