Laser tuning

I know I have read some topics that had pictures of a test grid that people use to tune their laser that basically burns a square at different percent powers, but I have spent the last day searching and can’t find it. Can someone point me in the right direction. There was also a topic on different z heights to find the optimal laser height. I know I could generate these files myself, but I’m sure some thought has been put into these. Any good resources for getting your laser dialed in would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

Here

2 Likes

Easy way to find the optimal laser height is to take a piece of material you want to laser, about 6 to 12 inch long 1/2 inch wide or so. Set the material as a incline. One end at waste board level, the other end 1 or 2" . Set the laser head just above the top of the incline. set your power just enough to burn. Burn a line the lenght of the incline. Dont move the incline, inspect to see the sharpest cut. measure the distance from head to incline part. that is your focal lenght

2 Likes

I am using the trial version of Lightburn now, and found this powerscale generator which has helped me a lot: https://www.o2creative.co.nz/laser/lightburn_basic_generator.php. I wrote some custom gcode to burn boxes increasing the z axis 1mm each box.

I feel like I am pretty much dialed in. I am really impressed with lightburn and will most likely purchase it unless I find a better alternative in the next 30 days. It looks like there are quite a few websites like this that generate lightburn project files for things like boxes, etc…

2 Likes

that is a great link, learn something every time I visit VI