Laser question

Me again…

Saw this bad boy on Youtube and wondered what the thinking is for putting this sort of laser on a LR2?

First thought is I would probably burn the house down but wondered if someone could give a short answer on this sort of thing?

Would need something on the table to stop fire but after that I don’t know enough about this stuff.

Rob

You wouldn’t burn the house down. Worst case is maybe a hole in the wall and a little charring.

Or you might shoot your eye out.

The 130W number is total marketing BS. This is an approximately 20W optical laser module. This module is not as powerful as a CO2 laser, but it is near the top of its class of diode laser modules. I have a 13W (optical) laser module on my Primo that I’ve used for over 1000 hours in the last 14 months, and, if the 20W modules were not so expensive, I’d gladly upgrade.

A piece of sheet metal will protect your spoil board. Some sort of grid to lift your work and air assist will significantly improve cutting performance and finish on the wood. You need to take into account that laser cutting generates smoke.

2 Likes