Kobalt router

Ok this is going to be fun. Used fz wizard for a carbide 2 flute bit. Programmed for 10k. Wood. It spit out 1600mm min. Ok. Programmed it.

Set router to 10k. Plunged 3 mm and it cut. And sooo quiet!!! Obviously i have some tuning to do and my 2nd cut the tape came undone on me so i had to e stop it. But check out the first one :wink:

3 Likes

When I started I watched an Uncle Phil video where he cut oak DOC 3mm 2000mm/min. That was the first thing I tried… :smiley: With a 6mm 2-flute though.

3 Likes

Should have known “uncle phil” would have been german ;). Thank goodness for cc auto translate :wink:

He became really clickbait-y. His old MPCNC Burly Videos were great, he made me build the MPCNC. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have a full video on the making of the saw. I can tell you that the printed parts for the bearings (so the saw base can slide on the pipes), were remixed versions of the LowRider v2 mounts, and there are downloadable files related to this on Printables, including the slide parts and printed “inserts” that got glued into the pipes so bolts could be threaded in. See links below. Also, I was not the first to come up with that usage idea of LR2 mounts for a panel saw. I cannot remember the name of the V1E forum member who first did that, but I got the idea from him.

[DIY Panel Saw] Z mount (v7a)

https://www.printables.com/model/163816-diy-panel-saw-z-mount-v7a

[DIY Panel Saw] Pipe Inner Endcap Nut/Bolt Holder (M8) for .75" ID pipe

https://www.printables.com/model/163814-diy-panel-saw-pipe-inner-endcap-nutbolt-holder-m8-

2 Likes

I think someone else did something similar about the same time as I did.

1 Like

Well looks like I have to convince the wife I need some extra shop time to get the router on and running

2 Likes

In case anyone is wondering, the font they used for the Kobalt logo is Futura XBlck BT.

I Love My Kobalt (no frame).dxf (120.3 KB)
I Love My Kobalt (no frame)

Ah yes! It was @SupraGuy! How could I forget. This photo of yours is what later popped into my head again, which led to me making the thing.

1 Like

I went by the local Lowe’s today to pick up some stuff and thought I’d get a pic of the display, but they aren’t to be found there. Inventory says they have 4, but in all the kobalt displays throughout the store, they couldn’t be located.

1 Like

All the stores around us are the same way. 10+ in inventory but no display anywhere in 2 stores my wife went into.

1 Like

So when I went in. They had about 1/3 of the new displays setup. One of the employees was there, I asked if they had more they were setting up and I got “if they ever get here” so maybe a supply issue with the display company?

I know some have had a “do not display until 11/6” tag on them. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Winner winner, chicken dinner!! I purchased 1 of 6. The search is over!! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

He cut it just high enough you didn’t get to see the sexy picture in all it’s glory.

1 Like

I will go back tomorrow for the full experience. I showed the guy a few pictures of my LR3, and he was quite impressed. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I did a thing tonight :eyes:

It brought up a couple questions.

1. is the router supposed ti be hard to get in and out of the mount? And if not what would cause that if the tool mounts measure 65.75mm?

2. Does anyone see a easy solution to the next photo (@vicious1; @DougJoseph) [also thought it would be best to do this here vs a new troubleshooting as the kobalt is new and we may have some kinks]

The router spindle lock button is hidden behind the mag mount. Now I can get my thumb on the button but it is neither comfortable nor provides enough leverage to tighten and press.

There are at least a couple of options.

1. Do the “two wrench approach” for bit changes, by use of a thin 12 mm wrench, like this one, in conjunction with the stock 17 mm wrench provided by Kobalt with the router. I made my own 12mm wrench using my plasma cutter, and some 3mm cold rolled steel, but afterward I googled and the one I linked to above is just 3.6 mm thick, and would hopefully work. This all but eliminates the need to use the button.

2. I just remixed the main mount to have a rounded notch in it, for exposing the button more. The fixed base that attaches to it would still be there, but the area closest to the button would be more open. It might help if option #1 is not used. This new part is now included in the Printables listing. See Cura screen shots below showing how I used support blockers to confine supports to only the newly added notch.

I can only say… that I had a tough time getting the new Kobalt router pushed down into my mounts, which are based on Ryan’s. I did get it done though.

1 Like

Ideally you use to wrenches to get it tight anyway. I’d only ever use the button for lightly fixing it. :slightly_smiling_face: