Knife block for steak knives

We just got new steak knives, but our main kitchen counter knife block was full. This was a weekend project to make a matching block for the steak knives, using 12mm baltic birch and Osmo finish.

Here is the block just after gluing, but before rounding over the edges and staining.

As always, there is a lesson too. Don’t forget to subtract the margins on your layout from your plywood size. Otherwise your cuts might go off the end of the board…

16 Likes

Great job!

1 Like

I’m not a fan of the foam or stick filled knife box personally, but the CNC work looks great!

I’m debating a stacked wood design with pocket cuts custom knife holes on the layers prior to glue up, then on to the jointer/planer, router and finish.

> I’m debating a stacked wood design with pocket cuts custom knife holes on the layers prior to glue up, then on to the jointer/planer, router and finish.

That would be my ideal choice too, but I think it only works if I’m only the person in the house using the knives. I’ve learned that everyone enjoys the same satisfaction of putting things back exactly where they need to go… :slight_smile:

2 Likes