Kids locking trinket box

I designing a 3d printed locking box for my kids. Everything fits nicely and I am very happy with the results, but I can’t quite figure out the best way to do the latch. The lock rotates a square 90 degrees between locked and unlocked. My original idea was to use a threaded insert in the lid design an arm for the lock that captured the bolt. However, since the lid isn’t that big I didn’t have a good angle to put the threaded insert in and it just wasn’t very strong. I know this isn’t going to be indestructible, but I want it to take some effort to break into. I think the lock arm I have printed is strong enough for that, but I can’ come up with something for the lid. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ll post the design once I get it all working if anyone is interested.

1 Like

I would move it up a smidge so the contact point is fully on the lid. Then make the entire arc contact section the latch (green), and make a wall that connects to it so you do not try to use supports (orange). Make the green part as narrow as possible with a camfered lead in so the lock easily finds its way home.

1 Like

instead of a bolt and threaded insert, I’d make two flanges that are 3d printed with a hole in them. I’d press a metal roll pin through the two holes for the latch to grab on to. Length of the roll pin and the thickness of the flanges could be adjusted bigger/smaller as needed to make fit.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I think I am following you, but is something like this what your describing?

Thanks for your input. Would the flanges be a part of the lid or printed separately and then attached to the lid?

I’d make them a part of the lid. I re-read my last post a couple of times and I agree that I didn’t make that clear. Was having a hard time ‘doing words’ this morning.

Yes!

So similar to the what Ryan suggested, but using a pin to hold onto instead of the plastic. I was trying to find a way to use a pin or screw so that’s a good idea.

1 Like

Just because I have run into layer adhesion issues in the past…

3 Likes

Yup. Pretty much just like his. Just with a roll pin. Nice thing about the roll pin is once it’s pressed into place the pin will keep itself there. Unlike a bolt that would need to be screwed into something.