Kelly the Carver's Build Thread

I wish I could say there was some magic to it but there isn’t. I use 3dp.rocks to create the STLs using the settings that THIS GUY mentioned in his videos. I’ve tweaked here and there but that’s on a print by print basis. All of my slicing is done in Slic3r on the PC (the Mac version has something off in the settings and lithos sliced on my Mac always snap off the bed - it’s not the printer’s fault though, it’s the gcode. I know this - just don’t know where). I use rafts for them but if they get tricky to stick I’ll add a brim instead. Only once though. Speeds are around 25mm/s and I’ve gone from .8mm to 1.2mm layer height depending on the photo and whether there is lots of little detail or not. I don’t know if that’s enough info for you. If you have specific questions I’m happy to look up the settings or dig through my notes (I found it critical to keep notes if you wan to do the same thing twice ; )

When I’ve got the “system” down for the CNC lithos I’ll post my settings. Likely towards next weekend.

I emailed Carveco today to see if they are willing to say unequivocally that their new software can do what it is I assume ArtCam did on the 3d relief carve from a photo standpoint. No word back yet. I’ll let everyone know. I wish it wasn’t so expensive!

1 Like

No, there’s some magic. I don’t have a clue what I’m doing but your post had enough info to knock this out on my second try…

[attachment file=96910]

[attachment file=96911]

[attachment file=96912]

[attachment file=96913]

– David

1 Like

I think the real magic is in fine tuning the print settings and the machine speeds to ensure full prints each time. I’d be embarrassed to tell you how many half prints I get :slight_smile:

The clone army is taking shape here…

It’s been fun playing with filaments I either had t tried yet (copper) or hadn’t dialed in for reliable prints (trans orange).

[attachment file=99607]

1 Like

Going on a field trip! Me and my MPCNC are off to the freezer for the day. Photos will follow.

[attachment file=103019]

Pics as promised. It took way longer to assemble these things on site than it should have so we couldn’t hang around and take loads of pics but in this room there are 100 of these. 25 acoustic guitars, 25 electric guitars, 25 saxophones and 25 music notes. All atop a sponsor logo on one side and an event logo on the other. That’s 300 pieces of ice each slightly varied in thickness and dimension machined with precision thanks to the dual endstops - but more importantly the Z probe.

The bar was hand carved/lettered but the paper templates for the logos were skillfully drawn onto the transfer paper (in reverse) by the mighty MPCNC with a sharpie electrical taped to the Dewalt.

These are probably going to post sideways - Dui loves them that way :slight_smile:

[attachment file=103318]
[attachment file=103319]
[attachment file=103320]
[attachment file=103321]
[attachment file=103322]
[attachment file=103323]
[attachment file=103324]
[attachment file=103325]

3 Likes

Wow. Just wow.

I do have a question about that guitar ice luge (guessing): is it made from two pieces laminated to make an interior channel? Or you have some magic for steering a drill bit?

Beautiful work!

1 Like

Ha! You got us! It’s a magical steerable drill bit. It is two pieces but not where you’re thinking. The base holding it up - you see the horizontal line? That’s the fused section there. The booze route - trade secrets but I’m happy to email you offline :wink:

You did that in a day? Amazing work.

Thanks. But not in a day. All week. We started Monday and finished around lunchtime today. Total MPCNC time on the job was about 21. 11 of those non-stop.

My mind is so blown.

Still, that is very intense. I’m still amazed.

1 Like

I have to confess…It was awful boring. I do love watching these things run but that 11 hour day was a bit much. It’d be different if I didn’t have to tend to it every 2 1/2 minutes to load the next piece of ice maybe. Like when I’m running a lithophane and can grab a chainsaw and work on something else while it runs. That was someone else’s shop so none of my other distractions around.

You need interns.

I call them menions or sherpas depending on the work they are doing.

They would love it. “Hey your job is to stand here and play with your phone, every two and a half minutes swap these blocks” They would be bragging to all there friends…except they would feel like anything they do was worth 100k a year.

1 Like

Perhaps an automatic pallet changer. I had been kicking around an idea (just concept stage) for a bed changer for MPCNC as a 3D print infinite factory, but if it can hold a workpiece then it could see other uses too.

This is my first wood project with the spindle and it’s working it hard. The spindle is keeping pace though - even with a bit optimistic first cut depth on the 1" surfacing bit. I’m surfacing out the area where the artwork will go first, then a heavy burn to the whole area, then a V Carve to put the art in. ESTLCam told me 2:12. We’ll see. The first coat of sealer needs to go on the whole piece tonight before I go to bed so hope it runs smoothly. [attachment file=117225]

1 Like

Here’s the burn…[attachment file=117229]

The suspense!