Johns LR3 Build

Hi gang,
This will be my first venture into CNC, I have been looking at options for a couple of years but never found anything affordable that looked like it was good quality before I found this the other night.

I will no be ordering the kit until after the holidays (for obvious reasons) but I figured I would get a start with the printable parts. I am printing groups of parts on my 400x400 3d printer and hope to get the Ender3 helping out as soon as I finish the upgrades.

My biggest sticking point at the moment is how to build the table to do full sheet size. I have seen a couple of solutions here but I cannot seem to find sheet products bigger than 4x8 here in Florida.

3 Likes

Weā€™ll have you making chips in no time, Iā€™m sure.

Making the table should not require sheet goods larger than 4X8. If nothing else, there is nothing saying that the top and bottom surfaces need to be all one piece. A torsion box is recommended, but the ā€˜skinsā€™ on the top and bottom can still be made from separate pieces. Just take care rhat the surface is as flat as possible.

A large printer is useful, but I found that for print time reasons, I only had one plate larger than 200X200.

For strength and print time, thick layers are recommended. I use 0.33333mm layers (3 layers per mm) but larger is good, for larger nozzle diameters.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing a test crown!

3 Likes

Thanks Dan,
I have some things I will be doing with 4x8 pink foamboard so I figured this could come in handy there, but knowing wood projects will likely be much smaller. Flat was my concern, I guess the ā€œrail areaā€ can be separate pieces with the cut area being one flat piece.

I have the big printer with a planned direct drive hot end upgrade but I do not want to take it out of service now that I am printing LOL. Currently I am at 0.3 layers with a 0.4 nozzle. I have to see if the E3D v5-v6 fit this printer, I have nozzles up to 0.8 or 1.0 that came yesterday for the new hotend.

3 Likes

Flat is and isnā€™t important. Hard to explain. I think that is why we donā€™t have all that much info on it, it isnā€™t usually much of an issue.

For a lowrider your table can be bowed in the Y (long) direction with very little issue, the machine will follow the bow. So focus on getting the X as good as you can and from there you can mount a spoil board and surface it, or even do mesh leveling. I will say in the 7+ years of me owning these machines, I just ā€œsurfacedā€ my LR for the first time ever a few months ago. Even then I only did it because I had a weird high spot and I just knocked it down a bit.

All comes down to the type of projects you will make. Do your best but donā€™t stress over it too much the machine can flatten itself.

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty interesting, thanks for that bit of info.

Beginning of the end. YZ plates are the last print

2 Likes

Looking forward to see the updates !! Seems like every build thread I learn something from. :wink:

1 Like

hopefully just after the new year, naturally spare funds go to the holidays this time of year.

1 Like

24 hours to print but they are DONE!

So I was going to do a full 8ā€™ build but after reading a couple of threads here I think I will do a bit over 4ā€™ with the trick to index full sheets with pins and a roller to support it. It will see smaller materials much more than full sheets I would imagine.

4 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s the route Iā€™m planning on going too. The good thing is the LR3 is movable so if you need a ā€œtemporaryā€ table for full sheet builds w/o the indexing then you could set up an ad-hoc one. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking of doing anyway.