JJ’s Offshore Adventures

I have plenty of pics and videos spread across a few post here. Since everyone seems to enjoy them I figured I would start a new thread just for that. At some point I’ll do a photo/video dump of everything I have but here’s today’s adventure for now

Crew change for a few of the contractors. And of course weather is right at the line for us shutting down the crane

Video sucks but I wasn’t about to leave the warm wheelhouse in that weather when I didn’t have to lol

5 Likes

OK, maybe, just maybe, I have more issues than strictly needed for a gentleman of my age, but that drop pod is missing a few panels…

GW-Space-marine-drop-pod-box-art

Looks like legs are down. So your job must be done for a short while??

Is that the modern equivalent of planking someone? You are gtting frog basketed!!! MWAHAHAHA.

For the Emperor!

1 Like

That basket is nice!

I used to have to ride these instead…

I’ve ridden one of those 200 ft off the water before

1 Like

We are on location. 129’ of water and a 70’ air gap (top of water to bottom of the hull)

That’s the type we prefer. Well that’s the old version. They got phased out about 5 years ago

This is the new version.

Better you than me! I went Army, dad wanted me in navy! Water and I are not friends :wink:

2 Likes

This looks like a deep frier for people. Load 'em up boys, our alien overlords need more fried seamen!

I haven’t rode one since 2010-2011.

Most times aren’t bad, but I’ve gotten some crane operators that thought it was funny to lift us up over the top of the entire vessel rather than swinging around the other way

Whoa! Wheres the protection???

Yeah that’s the worst. I get upset with crane operators like that lol

Hold on tight lol

Well, when you aren’t the one hanging off the side of a shaky net 200 ft above water in 25-30mph wind……I could see where it “might” be funny

2 Likes

Here are some pics that i posted in another thread. These are from our trip from Port Fourchon, LA to Davisville, RI

Had to stop for weather just off of Perdido Key, FL and my wife drove down and took some pics of us from the beach

Miami, FL

7 Likes

I was thinking it was like those old movies where they would load a net full of bananas into a merchant’s ship. Given the yellow, that is what I would nickname it. The banana basket.

If you went a little faster, I think you could charge for the thrill.

Lol this stupid yellow basket we have to use up here is called a Frog

Those sales photos just reinforces the drop-pod resemblances… Although I had to do a double-take on the medi-vac shots. It looked like they just photoshopped a stretcher (or two) into the image(s).

Side note: I like the “Oh, no!” (keeping it PG, here…) handles on the “Wave” line from that manufacturer. Except they aren’t exactly “On, no!”, unless you count the fact that you have to be transferred via crane in a standing rig as an “Oh, no!” situation to begin with… :wink:

To be fair, hopping on to one of those is actually one of the safest ways to transfer off a boat that’s getting tossed around in 3-5ft waves onto another vessel that may or may not be moving… you know…as long as the crane operator knows what he’s doing.

It looks sketchier than it really is.

2 Likes