Jetpacks and space ornaments for the kids

@Fabien , this is absolutely awesome. The jetpacks are amazing. So cool that you did this.

Any chance you might share the design for the jetpacks? Did you make any video on how to assemble them?

Thanks again!

1 Like

Maybe - just maybe - I went a little bit Overboard once again :slight_smile:

Jetpacks are being tested too :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

I love it, I love all of it. I would have went nuts as a kid over that.

2 Likes

This is the happiest thread of “things you’ve made” EVER!

Never mind the grand kids, I want one for ME!

These are just so great, I’m wondering if Coke bottles with a Mentos dispenser would get 'em off the ground!

3 Likes

Gotta try it! Might need a cape for stability though…

OMG… PLEASE VIDEO!!!

Now I’m suddenly reminded of the famous “Edna” quote from The Incredibles: “NO CAPES!”

2 Likes

Perhaps you could add a “pump” so that you could use the tanks as a watergun?

Like those water/air rockets where you pump air into a bottle?

Guy Clark’s song “the Cape” comes to mind too.

" Spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape ."

(or your jetpack!)

1 Like

The Onshape CAD is here: Onshape

Jetpack:
You need seven 6mm dowels, and cut out of 3.2mm thick stock

2x Jetpack - Back plate (2).dxf (77.4 KB)
1x Jetpack - Spacer - Bottom.dxf (62.6 KB)
1x Jetpack - Spacer - Top.dxf (72.0 KB)
1x Jetpack - Wing - Right (1).dxf (54.1 KB)
1x Jetpack - Wing - Left (1).dxf (54.2 KB)
2x Jetpack - Winglet.dxf (56.2 KB)
4x Jetpack - Spacer - Wing (1).dxf (48.6 KB)
2X Jetpack - Bottle holder (1).dxf (58.4 KB)
1x Jetpack - Cover (2).dxf (52.9 KB)
2x Jetpack - Belt buckle (1).dxf (59.3 KB)

Jetpack - Full sheet:
jetpack-all

Control panel:
You need some 20mm OD pvc tubing, and cut out of 3.2mm thick stock

4x Control panel - Handle (1).dxf (48.4 KB)
1x Control panel - Top.dxf (77.3 KB)
1x Control panel - Front.dxf (53.2 KB)
1x Control panel -Back.dxf (60.1 KB)
1x Control panel - Inside.dxf (57.9 KB)
1x Control panel - Side.dxf (62.0 KB)

Control panel - Full sheet:
Control panel - All

9 Likes

I can confirm the basement was quite smoky after all those cuts, despite having an air extractor running full blast the whole time
I need to build an enclosure for sure…

In fact, I remember seeing a post right here sametime 1 or 2 yezars ago by a dad who cut a whole boat for his son to participate in an annual race :smiley: And I thought “that’s what i want to use all those machines for, making my kids happy, with ‘toys’ no other kids could ever have, because it’s dad who made them” :slight_smile:
Of course making furniture or jigs for our hobbies is great, but making stuff for your kids, making their ideas come to life, is the real joy…
Makes you feel “best dad in the world” more than any mug you can get from the school :stuck_out_tongue:

They just don’t realize how unusual it is to get this kind of things :smiley:
A couple years ago I built a whole bookshelf in his room
Complete with an hidden door in the back, leading to a small secret room, with a stars wall made out of optic fiber, and a reading nook…
Never played inside :stuck_out_tongue: … But I’m sure he will at some point :slight_smile:

10 Likes

You are a gem. Thank you!

Thanks so much for sharing. If you want to involve your kid you can show him how to draw a plan for a robot that you can build together: Two Robots.

A

This is really a nice heart warming build :slight_smile:

He’s a little bit too young right now but that’s definitely on the bucket list :slight_smile:
Maybe for now he can just assemble the parts with me

I think the next cuts I wanna do are life-sized props for playing in the garden…
Maybe some instruments too (tongue drum,…)

I also need to build a base for his Moon lamp, maybe with a small rocket on it…

3 Likes

I’ve also got you covered there:
Tongue drum: Der Froschkönig - Lowrider 3 in Oldenburg, Germany - #326 by Tokoloshe. The plans for the main plate it will be uploaded soonish, after its completely done. :sweat_smile:

Cajon: Cajon with legs.

Can’t help you with the moon, but a rocket shelf: Rocket Shelf.

I think we need to start a collection of all the plans for kids. :smile:

1 Like

I don’t know if it helps or not (I’m pretty sure I’m hearing you implying the base should be made on the LR), but this is the one I did during lockdown (on the printer only).

https://www.printables.com/model/23859-designer-lithophane-moon-lamp

Today, there are several different bases there (on printable) for some ideas, that I saw when I tried to find the link. A lot of them look doable for a CNC. From simple puck bases, to complicated geo shapes. Many, not so easy for a CNC per say, but all could be made from wood.

My apologies if you already had some ideas, and it’s more of a time thing, like we all have.

That’s the one I printed actually :slight_smile:
Never got around printing the base/legs though…
I wanted to make a wooden base somehow, to give it a bit of weight (the lamp tends to shuffle around on the bedside table)
I’m also thinking about doubling it as a glasses holder by carving a small pocket…

You should make one that looks like the base of the lunar lander module.

1 Like

Based on the many many many questions I get eveery evening, I think I should go for an hubble model :slight_smile:

I personally think you missed out on this jet-pack design (although I understand caving to the Disney-inspired design you went with vs. risking the wrath of GW’s copyright attack sharks):

jump-pack-assault-squad-bitz