Janky bang-for-buck filament DryBox ideas, optimized for min labor/material

Anyone printing directly from box the Spool arrived in, for an Almost DryBox? Rather than using $10 pimped out cereal containers, or some of the fancy $50+ heated drybox, or, really fancy RepBox with LEDs?

If Spool motion turns ok, will be shoving in small container(s) filled with desiccant in the base area for PETG spools.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about doing that, but I live in a dry place to start with. In humid places, as soon as you cut open the bag your filament arrived in, you get enough transpiration of moisture into a cardboard box that it’s not super helpful.

The airtight plastic storage containers you can find at big box stores seem a better value with just printing a passthrough for the filament and maybe a roller mount for the center or on the bottom using 608zz style bearings.

If you try this, report how it does- as I said, the thought has crossed my mind a time or two.

1 Like

Cheers for the info Jim.

Fits, and the Capricorn PTFE based rollers seem to work great with plastic spools. Unfortunately, the rolling resistance is bad for the actual cardboard based spools that came in this Overture box.

You’re right about the 608 bearings being way smoother. Might try printing captive, but loosely rotating PTFE, before abandoning this cheap idea…

The 608 bearing based spool holder is what I currently use, downloaded that from somewhere on thingiverse.

2 Likes

Neat! I like the concept.

1 Like

Cheers! Results for Cardboard Spools are… Meh. Tried different PTFE tube based ideas… Prints with different gap tolerances, M4 bolts instead of PTFE, waxing spool rim edge, silicone lube on the PTFE, but still couldn’t get the cardboard Spools to run smoothly.

Ordered some 608ZZ bearings. Had given up, but as I type this am recalling I have large diameter PTFE somewhere…

Latest version will be in my repo here if anyone wants to use/mod. Won’t be posting to Printables until if/when Cardboard spools roll buttery smooth.

1 Like