Jackpot power supply tripping GFCI

Okay so thought I was going to get the cnc back up and running…. Plugged it in and it started tripping my GFCI, I isolated it to my 24v 6A power supply. I pulled it out undid all my fancy cable management. Plugged it in to see if I could diagnose anything else (lose connector, etc) and now it works without issue. Was the cable being bunched up causing issues? If I want to tie it up all nice again should I add a ferrite ring/bead? Would that fix this kind of issue? Anyone else experience this?

Take a good look for anyplace that might have had pinches, nicks or scrapes.
You likely did have a fault of some kind, and ferrite beads are unlikely to be a fix.

2 Likes

Will have to check that. Looked for any obvious signs and didn’t see anything didn’t think about it being internal.

Make sure to not overtighten zip ties also!! Can cause big issues.

Haven’t found any. Gave the cable a up and down feel. Tried bunching it again. Tried about everything I can think of. Hasn’t triggered it at all nor have I found any defects

I’m usually pretty good about this but by no means immune. Just weird I can’t seem to find the fault or trigger it again.

intermittent issues are tough to find.

When it was tripping the GFCI, how was it tripping?

E.g. was it tripping the instant you plug the PS in, only when turning on the machine, only when starting motion… ??

Do you have a power switch, surge protector, or EMI filter in the setup?

No protectors, and it would trip instantly. Definitely was acting like an arc was cross over to the ground wire but I cannot trigger it again. I thought it might have been a lose connection to the (pardon the bad terminology here) transformer box. But even with loosening it intentionally I can’t get it to repeat. I’m guessing I’ll just have to use it, see if it’s a one off issue and replace it when it comes up again.

1 Like

So i had some strange things in garage. About 6 months later. My gfci puked. Wonder if you have something similar.