J Tech Laser plug in spot for Mini Rambo 1.3

The title kind of explains it all I’m looking for the right plug in spot for the J Tech 7.8w laser into a Mini Rambo 1.3. I scraped a Low Rider build that I could never get to work right and reused the parts to make a giant MPCNC. I know there will be some bend in the bars but this is only for the laser no router so I don’t think that it will be an issue. I will be adding in some supports along the edges. But back to my question what plug in do I use?

1 Like

Wow that’s big, cool! I guess you’ve hit your head on that shelf corner a time or two? :face_with_head_bandage::grin: Do you pull the Burly down for use or you use a step ladder?

Use a step ladder it’s set up as a vinyls cutter and router

2 Likes

In a quick look at the JTech site, I did not find a 7.8w laser. I did find a 7w laser. I found this page for upgrading the MPCNC (Ramps board). On that page, they used the fan pin which is 12v. The one trick with the lasers is to make sure the driver will handle the voltage of the signal line. If this really is a JTech laser, they say about their driver, “It also can be remotely controlled with an digital isolated input with a super huge range of acceptable voltages for turning your driver on and off.” So you should be golden using either of the two fan pins on your board. On the JTech referenced page there are also instructions for using the fan g-codes to drive the laser.

After you have it working, you may want to consider enabling the laser support on Marlin for your MiniRambo. Once enabled, you can drive the laser using M3/M4/G0/G1 g-code commands (though you won’t be able to use the fan commands anymore). I posted a “theory” about how to enable the laser for the MiniRambo here. One MiniRambo user followed my outline and was able to get the support working.

SUCCESS!!! I got it working now I just got to find a sturdy mount for it. Thanks for the help.