It's so pretty

I use both… Tinkercad (for the same reasons Steve cites) when I have something really basic to print (spacers, plates, etc) or I have EXISTING STL’s to mod/merge (new mount adapter on existing cutter body). I use “real CAD” (Onshape is my preferred) when doing original designs, with more complex/precise parts/assemblies.

BTW stunning work, Steve!

I take comfort in the knowledge that @stevolution is literally a “Pro” at this stuff, AND a pro with too much time on his hands at that. 8^)

My build would look at least that good if only…

You are all too kind. If it helps, I just burnt my toast, so I do have limits.

Lindsay… to answer your questions…

Controller (and all the other kit) are mounted underneath the main work bed. I was worried about vibration issues, but that doesn’t seem to be a thing.

All lighting is 5v LED strip (because I had some)

LCD is mounted on an £8 Ebay adjustable camera arm.

The vacuum is in my loft (I have a dual storey workshop). The hose comes through the ceiling centre of the work bed. Hardly any stress on the Z rails that way.

The emergency stop kills EVERYTHING. Router, laser. Rambo, Steppers etc.
There is a switch under the board that lets the Rambo remained powered upon emergency stop, but I like the stop button to kill everything (E.G. Steppers).

Full wiring diagram should be up on my website later

1 Like

I get your point. Onshape is by far the best tool for doing just that, it’s super fast and intuitive.
I’m not a big fan of Fusion, I’m just using it for making renders. Too bad Onshape isn’t as easy to get for free as it used to be, and it’s just too expensive for a hobbyist to get a licence… I was lucky enough to get a free account a long time ago.

:astonished::astonished::astonished:

It’s not until you draw this thing out, you realise how much wiring went into it!
Wouldn’t upload (too big), so hope the compressed version is readable.

Not checked it through entirely yet, but it looks correct. Got coloured line blindness.

Right, now I have some proper special effects stuff to get on with!

4 Likes

Why do toasters have a charcoal setting? Never understood that one.

1 Like

I have a friend that eat’s her pop tarts double-burnt.

The times I have nearly been burned by eating a friends pop tarts :shushing_face:

Gene. The STL file for that tool light + Z limit switch is here, just in case you want it.

Z lighting bracket with limit switch.zip (278.8 KB)

2 Likes

Hey @stevolution, would you be so kind as to show how you attach your cable chain for the Z Axis cables? I’m looking at a number of cable chain motor mounts and I like yours the best so far, but was unsure how your cable chain was attached at the Z Axis itself. Would also love pics of the X and Y axis cable chain assemblies as too.

Hello Spencer. Not exactly sure what you are after, so I just took a pile of photos. Hopefully one of them will answer your question.

It’s a little while back now, but if I remember rightly, I found some brackets online and adapted them to be far stronger. These mounted at the end of the rails and the drag chain is bolted to those.

X and Y end mounts.zip (183.3 KB)

There are covers over these pieces to hide where I spliced the stepper motor connections. They are nut+bolted through.

Stepper connection housings.zip (51.1 KB)

Probably some other bits, but I can’t remember!

2 Likes

Ah, those are perfect, thank you! I was most interested in seeing how you terminated your cable chain and connected them to the motor and Z mounts.

So I just noticed, on your X and Y mounts, what are those little caps for?

They are just white cover caps for the bolt head #MrPerfection

1 Like

My Z drag chain also had a bracket at the top of the Z rig (shown here before the rest got assembled)

Its one of these this parts:

Cable_Chain_Z-cable_chain_mount.zip (363.4 KB)

Better Tinkercad view of the X/Y covers. You actually only need two of the same handed base piece for both X and Y.

Sorry, this thread seems to have grown to a bit of a length!

5 Likes

No, this is great info! Your piece are so nicely engineered and so much thought was put into them that I think it’s a great thread for everyone to see what’s possible

2 Likes

Thank you for the wiring diagram and all the photos.

I really enjoy the Your Builds section so I can see all the cool ways people have customized their machines.

1 Like

The pen holder in my files list has the facility for a small microswitch. If you have wired a Z limit to your tool head, then this sets the pen pressure perfectly.
The holder flexes up and operates the microswitch when the tip hits the paper.

And for those asking about the vacuum… not much to show, but it’s upstairs in my workshop

5 Likes

Without boring everyone, this is the first test I tried using the pen. Some pen traces are darker as I was going over the same drawing twice to test accuracy.

https://youtu.be/kJJyTprI_jU

1 Like

Sweet!! New crown!