Is this a stupid idea? (LR2 aluminum y-plates with built in heatsink)

I’m upgrading my Y plates to aluminum, and adding some style and features while I’m at it. The metal plates themselves are super heavy, so I’m removing material where possible. This means machining a large pocket behind where the board is mounted - naturally I thought “Why not machine some built-in standoffs for mounting the board?” and from there went “What if I added a built-in heatsink?”

This is the Rambo 1.4 board front and back, where the metal of the y-plate could contact the board to draw heat away from the drivers:

Here is a pic of the CAD for the y plate, showing the “heatsink” which would interface with the back of the board. It’s not to scale, just for reference:

Is this a good idea? A bad one? Would this be effective for cooling the drivers? I’d love to crank up the current being sent to each motor, as well, but worry about heat issues mid-job so I’m hoping this will prevent that. I use a 20mm linear rail on one side of the Y axis (instead of rolling on wheels), and the warp of the plate is causing some binding and stuttering. Really hoping a more rigid, metal y plate can fix that issue.

Here’s a pic of the other side y plate, which came off my other hobby machine yesterday afternoon, ready for sandblast and paint - the non-machined part on the right side is for it’s name decal:

Would LOVE LOVE LOVE if I could get my Lowrider a fraction as reliable as my old Shapeoko. I only do projects every so often (once a month?) and every. single. time. there is something fucky with the Lowrider 2. A stepper grinding and not moving correctly (a wire connection issue!) or the gantry stuttering (A friction issue from warped 3d printed parts!), the motors not moving (12v power supply issue!), or an endstop triggering randomly during a cut, etc. etc. etc. When it does work, it’s perfect for the simple sheet goods I usually cut, but I have NEVER just walked up to the machine, loaded my file, and gotten it done. Not once, lol. I enjoy making a fixing things, but at some point would love to focus on projects more and the machine less.

Any other thoughts on upgrades or changes that would improve reliability of the LR2 is welcome as well! Have already done: aluminum x plate, aluminum XZ_main (xz_main.stl), aluminum reinforced x motor plate (x2_plate.stl), linear rail on one side of the Y axis, g-code controlled LEDs under the x plate, a “cutter cam” macro camera for monitoring under the x plate, and I am currently machining aluminum Y motor mounts (y_bottom.stl) from aluminum. At some point this thing will be shelf-stable and should not fall apart just because it lives in a hot garage.

2 Likes

Those plates look really nice!

As far as upgrades it looks like you know exactly what to do to make it more reliable. Reevaluate/fix wiring, 24v PSU to help with heat, etc. Just got to eat your vegetables and get the boring, unsexy problems fixed and it’ll make for a better experience.

You may want to print in a more heat resilient material. 3DX-Tech PETG+CF is my favorite.

Only real change I made on mine was I added a second stepper to the X axis because it was where mine often messed up and it fixed it. However, I rebuilt the machine and upgraded some other things too so there’s no scientific evidence that single change made the difference.

3 Likes

Here’s the post from when I upgraded mine.

1 Like

Wow, nice Alu parts. Never owned a LR2. Am selfishly hoping folks that upgraded from LR2 to LR3 will chime in and convince you to come join the LR3 party. Am selfishly hoping to see what cool mods you come up with and share for LR3 :stuck_out_tongue:

Cleaning and lubing my EMT conduit and leadscrews helped enable my rapids to go ~30% faster before skipping. 24v instead of 12v with SKR Pro 1.2 TMC 2209’s helped too.

In a dusty, humid environment? Is covering between usage worth doing, if not covering already?

Seen @tgm022861’s LR2 mods (and LR3 for that matter) @ Modified motion control on Y-axis - #6 by Fabien ?

2 Likes

Hold my beer…

I had the same issues with my original LR2. I don’t fault the design or anything like that. For me it was inexperience when i put it together coupled with laziness to fix it. But I will say the gained experience came in 10 fold when I put my first LR3 together. And man is it a MASSIVE upgrade!!! The only issues i have had with my LR3 were self inflected, like running a bit that was too dull and pushing it way too hard. But all in all I cant think of one thing that isn’t better with the LR3. Stronger, Faster, Better in every way. I have done a bunch of aluminum milling, acrylic and some large wood projects and its done great on every one.

4 Likes

If you put a fan on the drivers, they will cool down enough that the motor mounts will melt before the drivers shut off.

I think the heat sink would be fine, if the tolerances were good enough. Any short would be bad.

If you lock tite the grub screws, have good quality wiring, and the machine moves without excessive friction, it should be cutting reliably. It sounds like you’ve been bitten by several bugs in a row. That stinks.

1 Like