Is there anyway to tell cast or extruded acrylic

So I bought some acrylic years ago for a project and I have a big sheet and some off cuts left over. I have read that the ideal one is cast acrylic for cutting and milling.
I tried to look back at the supplier and they don’t even list if it’s cast or not.
They do say easy to machine and cut, and I have successfully cut this material before with no issues with skill saw.
My question is, is this like a safety thing will it crack and shoot bits all over or is it just a final product issue.
I want to just put it in and try but wanted to ask first.

AFAIK You will be fine just trying it. Cast acrylic will just produce a cleaner cut, it won’t explode or anything!

1 Like

Interesting question, so I did a bit of searching. Experience by some people is that cast comes with a paper covering and extruded comes with a plastic covering, so you probably have extruded. I have very little experience milling acrylic, but from what I’ve read, extruded can be routed, but the quality of the edges will be lower. I did route some extruded acrylic for light covers for a friend, and had no trouble. Extruded has a lower melting point, so a lower RPM on the router might help.

2 Likes

I learn something new every day, especially since hanging out around here.

Same here I tried researching and looking I did find someone talking about the paper covering like Robert mentioned. I will have to give it a try and report back
Thanks everyone for your input