Is the MPCNC too aggressive for balsa?

I was elated in finding the V1 website again because I am forcing myself to make time to investigate this further. I’m considering the V1 MPCNC for milling balsa parts and am concerned that it may mis-treat the wood.

Please let me know if you are aware of anyone using the MPCNC for similar purposes or refer me to a known example featured in a website.

Since you could take a 1mm or 1.5mm endmill with a diamond cutting pattern (Sorotec Online-Shop - Werkzeuge) it shouldn’t be a problem.
This has also been said by the creator of Estlcam: Balsaholz fräsen - STEPCRAFT

1 Like

Hello Phillipp,

Thank you for your response. It is very helpful.

1 Like

I finally found the video I was looking for: Pylon racer vs mpcnc - YouTube

It’s German, but he does not talk in this video, thank god. He got really annoying with his CNC (which is cool, but damn, it’s expensive).

After a bit of experimenting I found a 0.8mm two flute upcut endmill cut balsa with a nice clean edge. Crank up the RPM and use a decent feed rate makes quick work. The resulting .4mm radius on the inside corners is negligible. Everything assembled perfectly. Same bit for the thin plywood parts as well.

Reasonable price from Adafruit of all places - Carbide Square End Mill - 1/8 Shaft - 0.8mm Diameter : ID 2075 : $3.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

2 Likes

Philipp & Paul - This is all good information. The one follow-up question I have now regards the use of a router. Why not a trimmer for this type of application? Clearly, trimmers are not as versatile as routers and perhaps that is a sufficient reason to prioritize a router.

The question never occured to me because I don’t cut balsa. :smiley: If you want to cut something else, just buy the router. I’d choose a Makita because of the possibility to adjust RPM.

What is an ‘upcut’? Presumably, bring the end mill into the material and elevate it to perform the cut?

I assume you’re referring to the RF1101 because of its 8,000-24,000 rpm speed control?

Upcut, downcut and straightcut refer to how the endmills are fluted.

Upcut means thst as the bit spins, the normal roration will lift the chips upwards to the top surface where they can be ejected from the material. Most bits that I have seen are designed this way. The cutting flute spirals in the same direction as right-hand threaded screws or bolts. While this one is best at evacuating chips, it also tends to pull the material upwards, away from the table. This is most pronounced on thin and flexible material (like Balsa wood.)

Downcut is the opposite, where the flute spiral is like a left hand thread, so that chips are pressed downwards. This leaves a cleaner top edge at the cut, but it is more difficult to clear chips.

Straightcut is like most actual router bits, the cutting edge is vertical through. This works well for full depth cutting, which would be a typical use for a router.

There are also “Compression Bits” which are a hybrid of upcut and downcut. The tip is upcut, for making a nice clean edge at the bottom of the work, and the tip is downcut. The result is a bit that makes clean edges both bottom and top, but isn’t good at evacuating chips to anywhere except behind itself.

And the diamond and spiral endmills that somehow seem to be a German/European thing and are the best choice for Balsa. :sweat_smile: