Inkscape, line segments?

Anyone know of a way I can remove small line segments from an SVG or maybe from gcode?

I have imported a CAD drawing and it brought in a lot of tiny tiny line segments that show up as dots. I could save a ton of time not doing the Z moves for them.

I have a couple of hackish ideas of how it might be done. If you can post an example, Iā€™ll try them and let you know if any of them work.

1 Like

CTRL + L thins out the number of dots in inkscape linesā€¦ that might help though you have no control over which ones are taken off.

1 Like

I just came in from the shop I can post the file tomorrow.

I use an AutoCAD clone called CMS IntelliCAD that has a command called OVERKILL that works pretty good for these problems. I would be happy to run that file for you if you want. There are probably several other AutoCAD clones that will do this as well as AutoCAD, Draftsight & CorelCAD. Here is what the options look like for it.
overkill

I had an older version of CorelCAD a few years ago, but it was a little buggy. CMS IntelliCAD came out with a perpetual license version 40% off on a Black Friday sale a few years ago, so have been using that one since. I donā€™t use it very often, but some of its features are useful when I need them.

You could also get a trial version of one these, if you would prefer to fix it yourself.
Here are the links to the oneā€™s I know of.
Compatible CAD Software for .DWG files - CMS IntelliCAD - AutoCAD Compatible (intellicadms.com)
CorelCAD 2023 - CAD Software for 3D Drawing, Design & Printing (coreldraw.com)
Free Trial Form | DraftSight

Doesnā€™t Inkscapeā€™s ā€œSimplify Pathā€ function do this?

Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve used Inkscape, so I canā€™t remember.

I think simplify path just reduces points on the line, not the line itself.

Here is the SVG, if you could give it a look that would be cool!
Assm - ISO Drawing v0

1 Like

Dang that actually looks pretty amazing. Is the tolerance, line length? All teh combine options would save a ton of time as well. Making arcs, that should really knock down a lot of Z moves.

That SVG is 590mm wide.

Which part of that drawing is causing you the issue? The LR3, or the RMRRF logo?

The Lr3 has quite a few lines that can be simplified. It may be best to put each part of the drawing on a separate layer and work them independently. Iā€™m thinking the ā€˜combineā€™ tool might be able to merge some of the paths together. Or maybe ā€˜unionā€™ ?

The LR3, it has a ton of tiny segments. I can try that. I will see what happens shortly.

Shoot I tried simplify and it was working for a while, still looks the sameā€¦that might have worked. Just need to find some sort of line segment count to compare.

While we are at it, any suggestions on layout? Donā€™t mind the color I had to do some extensive editing on the RMRRF logo to get it to draw right.

Ah, simplify did mess it up, it made all the small circles wonky. I need to play with the settings a bit.

Yikes! How hard is it to remove all the threaded fasteners (or make them smooth) and generate again?

Those exposed bolt threads are a huge number of lines.

They look so good though! I

If I could get the pen to stay down they would only take a couple seconds. Even with the Z at 65mm/s this drawing takes almost an hour and a half.

Ok let me think a bitā€¦

I was expecting was expecting a different problem, so none of my original ideas will work. I do have one suggestion. In Lightburn, ungroup down to the individual path level, select the LR3 and from the Edit menu, use Auto-Join selected shapes. Not sure of the algorithm, but it will reduce the number of paths in the SVG. Less paths means less pen lifts.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll try that now.

fusion also has different export options. maybe some are better than others.

Ohhh! Just the left side went from 2400 objects to 930 and looks the same!

2 Likes

Okay the entire LR3 came down to 2130 segments. That is less than a 1/3 of what it was. PERFECT! Thank you!

I will set it up to test in just a few moments. I am tweaking the firmware a bit.

2 Likes