Ideas for maker faire activities

Hi all!

I’m going to the local maker faire again this weekend. I’ll be showing off the Primo and my corexy hbot plotter. ATM I’m debating what activities to offer. The organizers want us to have something people can participate in. Last time I was plotting random drawing kids asked for from the internet. But this year we want to do something a little more interesting.
I want to take pictures of folks and quickly plot them. I’ve been looking into Drawingbot v3, which is neat. But the free version doesn’t give out plots that are easily recognizable in small sizes.
Do any of you have suggestions for something to do, that is quick and easy, but still has some entertainment value?
In a dream scenario I would make a photo booth, where people could take an image of themselves, and then have it plot quickly in a cool stylized fashion. But I aint got time for that, and I wouldn’t know HOW either…

1 Like

Stephen Hawes set up something like that. Maybe his code can help you out?

2 Likes

Thanks! Weeeeell, he had two weeks, I have two days… I’d need two months, perhaps two years… :smiley: I’m checking out vpype now, a neat tool. Might not be able to automate anything, but it’s interesting to check it out.

2 Likes

I have a few extra weeks until my show, I would love to do something interactive this time around.

2 Likes

I had kids at Dublin Maker fair carve their name on a piece of scrap wood or acrylic. There was a HUGE queue! Once when I left for 5 minutes to use the portapotty, the kids got very impatient, asking my wife why she would not let them keep carving.
You can see some of their adorable faces in the photos on my Google Maps business site:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/agpA7hCx8WNYXV4b7

They got to choose the font and some embellishments.

3 Likes

You know, you’ve given me a great idea! I won’t be doing any carving indoors, but I can make them write their names or draw something and then plot it out with a sharpie. Perhaps tweak it or play with it a little in inkscape first. Then they can take it with them, or we can hang it on a the wall. Using my laptop that has touchscreen, they can draw directly in Inkscape. THANKS! :smiley:

1 Like

Great! My idea for last summer’s Dublin Maker was to have them use the joystick on my ESP-NOW pendant to try to draw something, and take it home and frame it. Sadly, I got Covid and could not attend.

1 Like

Yeah, a pendant would be a little like a sketch-machine. They could actually try some jogging, but that might take foreeever… bad luck with covid! I think I had it this winter. Felt ill in an unusual way. After a week I was back to normal.

Lightburn did this at RMRRF. They had a model for the badge in CAM and they used the text tool to write the name and company on it. It only took a minute to make the text and draw the name. It was pretty fun.

1 Like