I can cut brass, but aluminum is kicking my

farmer co-op. In Missouri it’s the MFA in a small town.

Orange box in paint dep

1 Like

Most gas stations around here have a kerosene pump.

Have a look at some of my videos. I have a feeling going that slow at that depth is actually not good. In aluminum you need to take a big bite and spit it out fast. Too little and you stir weld and or harden the material. I know you have a ginormous machine but work in a corner and try some of my feeds and speeds. For the parts you are cutting a full depth tricoidal coming in from an edge would probably be fine, the initial plunge or ramp in is the hardest part.

I’ve seen your guides and don’t argue your results…but I’m not getting any reweld at those settings when I was getting crazy reweld before.

I’m thinking the gap here may be the crappy 6063 architectural stuff from the hardware store. As suggested by others, this material is NOT rated well for machinability; most liken it to trying to cut bubblegum.

I have some cast 7073 tool and jig plates I picked up for a different project. It’s supposed to be very machinable, so I’m going to try cuts closer to your settings when I start to figure out that material.

When cutting aluminum look for 0 Flute End Mills and make sure that they’re Center Cutting. As far as speeds and feeds, google the trial version of GWizard and try the Shapeoko configuration as any of the MPCNC machines will fit in this class of a machine and there are variations in the setup to take into account the rigidity or lack thereof in machines of this size.