HOWTO - A "simple" gift box

Quick update on this after 2-3 weeks

The box has bowed quite severly and cracked at multiple points

Maybe the effect would have been minored by cutting along the wood’s fiber direction, but overall, I think cutting out the whole center inside the base and lid has a significant effect on material stress, and this method is not sustainable , unless you have very thick walls :confused:

Oof. That is a shame. Stupid wood.

Wow, that sucks…

Wood does weird things. My first reloading block curled up like a banana when the holes were bored with the rings curving up. When the holes are bored with rings curving down, they stay flat…

Sad, but a nice bit of learning for us! Thanks for the update.

I think it’s ‘just’ differential movement - the dark timber has dried and shrunk across the grain- the light has nowhere to go. I really would not have expected that on something so small. What is happening with your house heating?

I think that fully encapsulating it in polyurethane might have prevented this.(might) . For utilitarian stuff like this these days I use satin wipe-on poly, final buff with steel wool or scotchbrite then wax to make it less plasticky.

1 Like

Well… actually…

The living room is heated by a stove so we have some significant fluctuations :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t have given it a thought except that on the boat when we were based in Lorraine I fitted some Ikea laminated benchtops and came back after one winter to discover they’d grown 19mm! :open_mouth: Messy!

1 Like