How many pounds (or kgs) of filament is required to print all of the LR3 parts?

Does anyone have an estimate of how much PLA is required to print a set of the LR3 parts ?

Thanks much.

I used ~2kg.

Thanks much.

1 Like

LIES!!!

I used close to 3 and still have more to do.

OK OK OK I know this is an old thread but I want to throw the tiny little writing at the bottom of the add that speed talking anouncer guy reads so that you dont know what he is saying.

Basic parts take just shy of 2 spools. BUT When you decide you want to add a case for your controler, or that you are going to print the YZ plates as your temp plates… that sounds funny when you read it fast. TEMPORARY PLATES. Then you see Doug’s remix of this that or the other and you have to have it… My point is simply that unless you are building a smaller machine without any of the added parts I would plan on 3 rolls minimum and have a 4th on standby.

2 Likes

How long does it take to print all these parts?

That greatly depends on your printer, and size of your lowrider, etc.

2 Likes

I printed my core in 10 hours, and that seems relatively fast though I have seen faster. The same part has taken some people as much as 37 hours. That is just one of the parts needed. It clearly paints the picture of how big a difference your printer makes on this.

2 Likes

Speaking of kilograms used, I should buy stock in a filament selling company. I buy in bulk. LOL

I don’t care about print time - I do care about finished print appearance. I just get the machine started in the morning and let it do its thing until the day’s task is over - therefore in the schedule below “7 days of print time” probably took more like three weeks.

It’s not just the printer though makes a big difference - other variables come into play. Here’s a complete schedule of my print times on the Prusa Mk3 - note however that I have been super conservative and departed from recommendations using 5 perimeters and gyroid infill. Therefore the times on the Mk3 schedule are probably around 30% higher than they would be if printed as per recommendation, and material use is also higher.

The other two partially columns have core comparisons using the MK$ - one with identical print settings - 5 perimeters and gyroid infill and one with 2 perimeters and grid infill and speed settings (NOT RECOMMENDED - unless you enjoy replacing broken parts, but you can save a lot of filament!).

You can see that with the new machine, input shaping and conservative settings there’s a 12 hour saving.

If speed is your thing, and you don’t mind reprinting every now and then when things break, you could (Don’t do this) save an entire day and build the entire machine on less than a kg of filament if you used a SPEED profile! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

NOTE- you clearly don’t need 5 perimeters and grid infill is going to be much more efficient during printing. I have personal preferences which may not be valid, and certainly waste time and filament during the initial construction phase - time will tell if they prove more durable after prolonged use.

1 Like

ok, but for comparison here is my settings with speed and acceleration not even touched by me, but instead limited by volumetric flow and 100% infill.

I completely agree that the quality of the part is really the only thing that matters at all. But in the picture above, I’m probably printing around 100mm/s which will yield very good quality prints. And I have the Volumetric flow limited to 30 when I have tested my set up as high as 34 before things started to show signs of issues. Not failure point because that is useless info, bust first little blobs of not being 100% right.

Which coming full circle to answer his question about “how long does it take to print all these parts”, is a question none of us can really say. @bitingmidge likely has the standard for most bed slingers and high flow machines somewhere in the area I am.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the answers. This was very helpful for me.
I don’t (currently) own a 3D printer…I was debating asking a friend of mine to print them for me, but wanted to gauge how much of a favour I would be asking for first.

1 Like

best bet is order the kit complete

2 Likes

That’s a perfect comparison! I think we have pretty well explained why it’s not possible to provide an accurate answer - 6hrs and 560gms at one end of the scale and 1.5 days and 350gms at the other.

I’d still happily do it for a friend, but it’s a fairly big favour!

1 Like