Hi everyone, I’m having a problem with my MPCNC Primo. Basically, when I turn off the power to the motors, I lose the squareness because the carriages on both the X and Y sides have play. If I try to tighten the carriages, there is less or almost no play, but the motors then seem to strain a lot. Is there a solution to this? I was also thinking of installing 2 limit switches for each axis so that every time I home, the squareness will definitely reset. I’m attaching the diagram of my BSMCE04U board to see if it’s possible to connect 2 end stops for each axis for homing. If so, are they connected in series or in parallel? Thanks
- Use endstop.switches, and home the machine. The Primo has poivisions for this, and once set up, it’s pretty good. Edit: it is up to your firmware to handle. Usually we set 2 separate switches, one per motor, neither series nor parallel. Each switch is independent, and stops only one motor but then you need at least 5 motor channels (and 4 stop switches) on your control board.
- Use hard stops that you pull the gantries against. While it is pulled against these, then power up the machines and motors. Once powered up, the machine will stay square.
You should never trust that a Primo is square with the motors powered down. It is meant to have some flex in order to deal with real-world tolerances and conditions.
