Help with depths if anyone has time

I am working on my first project and the reason I wanted a cnc to make these boxes. So please be gentle. I have been really struggling with setting the depths of these cuts correctly on this box panel I am working with. It is a bottom panel that has finger joints and also a pocket for an led light to sit in with a canal for the power cord to run out of the back. I tried making an NC setup that will run 2 different cut setups like one.
First I definitely incorrectly assumed it would start at the orientation point and it definitely didn’t, not a big deal i cut air first so I was able to account for that. However when I tried running the code the first 10-15 times trying to start over it would always try to cut the pocket above the work piece and never touch it.
I finally have it to were it will cut but not very deep at all and the contour cut in the second part wont cut through my workpiece.

If you have time and more knowledge than me (not a high bar) and want to look at my files/code I will post them below

1-Bottom Panel Light Pocket.gcode (31.1 KB)

I cannot upload the f3d file for my box.

I’ve been setting my starting point as close to flush as I can to the work piece.

-Spencer

Did you set your Z height to 0 at the top of the work piece? (Probe using G38.2 Z0, then set the Z position using G92 Zn where n = thickness of your probe)

1 Like

I don’t want to be that guy, but starting with DXFs and Estlcam is a lot easier than starting with Fusion. There are only a handful of people here using it as the gcode generator.

1 Like

possibly that is my problem. can i type that code strait into fluid?

It’s ok, all advise is welcome. this is all new to me and fusion was free.

You could try LibreCAD and Estlcam as well, both are free. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That specific code works for Marlin, I’m not 100% sure if it translates to FluidNC directly.

@Tokoloshe, perhaps you could provide insight directions for probing and setting Z = 0 in FluidNC…

1 Like

I am not working with Fluid on my main CNC, only on my plotter and I set Estlcam to use the current position as 0/0/0 in every program it runs. So I just jog my cutter/pen to the place where it is supposed to start and hit run… Sorry.

2 Likes