Help develop the next MP3DP!?!

You can 3d print one too! The rotary ones!

2 Likes

Remember it isn’t done, but it is really close.

I tested the brakes, they kick in in 1-2 mm. I had the bed at 3 from max and killed the steppers. It sounded instant and took a noticeable amount of time to lower the 3mm. Orob’s solution is more proper, but these should keep me safe during calibration.

About to tune some heaters, after that I will start designing the back/electronics cover.

3 Likes

Now that I know where the wires sit I should have moved things a bit…but I’ll just hide them and do it better on the next “pretty one”.

Would you mind sharing your SVG or dxf or stl export? I don’t do 360 and I’m still in the 101 of freecad and I’ve managed to export the model from 360 as a step file and Import it into freecad. It is all there, but the core is one piece and so is the set of y plates. I got a few small pieces of aluminum to mill and try this out, but for me the time suck will be getting the file into estlecam.

1 Like

Here you go. I haven’t opened anything but the DXF files so far. Let me know if you have any issues

MP3DP V5.zip (868.0 KB)

3 Likes

THANKS!

@ryan, does this look right for orientation of each printed part?

here it is in full quantity. I think we are missing the belt tension adjustment piece. Looks like the belt pulley holder is there, but the part it connects to with a bolt to apply tension isn’t there.

I’m not fully confident in the vern’s (mpcnc) aluminum cutting capability since it is still on the compromised parts, so it is going to be laser cut from acrylic until I can get the aluminum cut. Looks like 10.5x10" layout in acrylic if I got them all in the right quantity:

1 Like

Good catch! And you are correct. Its missing in the CAD

This one is upside down.

The small spacers, you need multiples. 4 of the triangular one, 6 of the tiny one, 4 of the other one. A lot of those parts need multiples but I am sure you know tht part.

No extra part this time, it tensions off the rail.

Everything will be fine in acrylic except the X rail holders. Actually that might be a good way to save on the kit parts. Maybe clear acrylic for everything but those two parts.

I’m sneaky this time, the nut is in the idler holder, you loosen the flat parts and the screw pushes off the rail, then snug the flat parts back up.

I’ll flip that piece you noted. So, yhere is no y stop in that part set…

Core and x parts are printed. Printing first set of 2 for the y axis and then the z will print in 3 sets. I grouped and sliced 3 sets that can be repeated and each prints in about 2 hours.

1 Like

Damn your beating me LOL. I’m still waiting for the filament to get here, supposed to be today. Just got home from doing some running. Going to fire up the little LR3 here in a bit and try out some parts.

I did a “price” comparison. Public Amazon list is here if others want to look. Amazon.com

~$105 USD for 5x 300mm MGN12H rails, M3x10mm, T Nuts
~$50 USD replace 5 rails with, POM wheels, Eccentric and common spacers, M5 + M3 hardware.

On investigation, I think that the milled parts could work for the Y-Axis with an appropriate spacer / standoff block. Especially your newer gantry design.

For others interested in a Z-Only - print in place spacers solution, I have added the following and it seems to function as desired, available at printables

1 Like

Filament just showed up

Just put it in my makeshift dryer for a while. Will start printing some this evening. Also got the milled plate for the bed…

For the price this plate is real nice. And actually a touch over 1/4”. Calipers put it at 6.6mm

1 Like

No way… I chose this color:
PXL_20240301_000148127~2

The slicer was showing red, but the parts printed last night in green… I thought I’d be different, apparently just like everyone else.

No way! That’s crazy! Oh well. Not like we previously discussed it LOL. I just wanted something different than all my other printers LOL

My v4 is that shade of green :slight_smile:

I have purple in the printer now, so anything I print for the current mods will all be purple.

1 Like

I’m printing!

Do we have a name?

1 Like

like “ron” or a legit acronym name that encapsulates the essence of the v5 experience?

I’ll throw out a few:

1. MPLP
    milled printed LUXURY printer

2. MPHEP
    milled printed High end printer

3. trochoildal wonder

4. v1LP
    (see #1)

5. v13D

… that is all I can think of as I type atm I like 1 and 4, but maybe it should be something cool like the ender dragon from minecraft…oh, wait, or maybe something that inpires us to greatness like… the everlasting fdm (everlasting gobstopper from willy wonka?).

1. the charm
    because the 5th time is the charm

2. pearlite
    in metallurgy alternating laminar stacks of ferrite and cemenite in cast irons with high carbon content make pearlite and you mention sandwich and it does the same thing… plus pearls roll on layers at a time.

3. the pearl
    sounds corny like the book, where the dude swims for the giant one.

Sandwich printer
MP3DP v5
Repeat V2

melvin

Plated Extrusions Gunna Go Yowzers

Peggy?!