Having a problem with 817 modules

Thanks Dave, that info is very helpful.

No, all 5 pins are used, the power and ground are the ones you are missing (pins 5 and 3 respectively)

Thanks Mike

Re: PWM > 0-10v, is a simple little board with no rheostat a viable option?, e.g. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804215877043.html.

1 Like

Re: 817 modules
The nice thing about the PC817 module I’m currently using is that it comes with voltage specific resistors, inputs can be NPN, PNP or differential and it is available with NPN or PNP outputs. For Estlcam we want NPN > NPN.

The Estlcam 4.7k pull-up on the 5v side seems to be the exception (because it’s used in tandem w/ the processor pull-up?), 1k appears to be the 5v standard and seems to work fine with Estlcam (as does 0k/processor only pull-up). That said, buying the 24 > 24v version of the board will provide the equivalent of the Estlcam Terminal Adapter inputs (+ LEDs), 4.7k on the inputs and 4.7k pull-ups on the 5v side.

A nice little board, very selectable
I have ordered a couple.

Also a nice board. Thanks Dave
I have ordered a couple of these too.

Apparently so, but my only tests have been with an optocoupler. While the maximum RPM at any frequency is ~23,600, 12k (my minimum) and 20k (my typical) RPM’s are only a tad low @ 60 and 250hz (~11,970 and ~19,800) and a tad high @ 1khz (~12,240 and ~20,010). At 8khz the RPM’'s are ~2.5k too high (~14,400 and ~22,600).

1 Like

That is interesting Dave.
I have saved your images for future reference, I have two of these boards now to play with. I was surprised how small they are in size.

I bought one because it was small enough to fit on my Nano shield if I put the optocouplers underneath it. I’ve since decided that doing the conversion at the VFD, using its power and ground, makes more sense. The shield test board turned out to be a great inside the VFD board.

1 Like

Well done Dave.
I have the same VFD, except mine doesn’t have the two small piano switches that allow 5 or 10 volt change over.