Have you tried a foam needle cutter?

I ran across this foam needle cutter YouTube short and thought it was really interesting. Have you ever tried something like this? Does it work well? Any issues with it?

2 Likes

I haven’t made it myself. But I have been meaning to:

https://docs.v1e.com/tools/foam-needle-cutter/

5 Likes

There’s quite a few topics on this here at the forum! Just look them up, plenty of input and advice.

5 Likes

A whole new world has been opened up since I built my LR3. Thanks @vicious1 and everyone else for this great project.

4 Likes

I want to say that @dkj4linux was one of the people who pioneered the needle cutters. But it could be my memory and/or morning brain fog…

5 Likes

I’ve tried it a couple of times…’ :wink:

I’ve got a V1 forum thread here…

and a long-running thread over on the FliteTest forum that chronicles the needle cutter’s “out in the open” development over the years…

It’s strictly DIY (i.e. no kits) but it’s an inexpensive build (< $20 or so) with parts and materials you’ve probably already got. It can be a bit fiddly to get dialed in… but works well when it is. Being chronological, the most current information in the thread is more toward the end of the thread rather than the beginning.

I’m out of that “game” now but the most active needle cutter activity is probably around Edward Chew’s TimSav machine. It’s a “minimalist” machine that he did “kit” out until the pandemic hit. He’s also got a long thread on FliteTest as well as an active FB group…

Have fun!

– David

8 Likes

My goodness! I had no clue the needle cutter had a place in the documentation. Haven’t looked closely but what I see looks great!

:crazy_face:

6 Likes

Your infamous :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Forgive me if I get this wrong. But I think it was @ianj001 that did the write up. It is good and I hope it is still pretty up to date.

2 Likes

I went back and reread it more closely and it looked good to me. It links the players and source material I’ve directed folks to over the years… historically, @moebeast’s Foam Ripper, @jhitesma’s Improved Needle Cutter, a few of my posts and videos, and, more currently, Edward Chew’s TimSav machine, FT threads, and FB group. Once it entered Edward’s very active FB realm, I lost track of the very latest and greatest developments but what’s’ covered in the documentation definitely covers the essentials.

@ianj001, you did a good job. Thank you!

– David

3 Likes

The foam needle cutter is what got me started in the mpcnc world. @dkj4linux on the FliteTest forum explained how to build one and decided I needed one to cut out foamboard planes. It works great. I eventually built the FoamRipper, which is similar to the LowRider.

8 Likes

Has anyone found that it put’s the ink in too deep when you’re trying to give yourself a tattoo?

I wanted to put a V1 logo next to my heart with Mom in it and it was a total bloodbath!

1 Like

Just kidding!

1 Like

I want to say there is a CNC tattoo machine out there somewhere. Working on pig carcasses, since pig skin is a good match to human skin. If memory serves, the issue was/is properly managing Z-height on a very variable surface (can’t really run your surfacing bit over it, now can you? OK, you can, but that sort of defeats the purpose to a degree, c’nest pas?), not to mention the issues of writhing and screaming stock…

At least, you shouldn’t have issues like tattoos of your kid’s name with the words “Be Stong”, unless that’s what you want.

This is the perfect situation for combining different approaches being used in our community. What if you combined the metallic spray technique (being used by @forcerouge ) with a PINDA from an old MK3 (I’ve got one for sale!!)? Thus we can make an accurate height map to CNC tattoo on. Amazing synergy!

(Don’t mind the medical issues with tattooing upon a metallic spray paint. I’m sure we’ve got medical professionals among us. No biggie)

Actually if that all works, you could use the laser for tattoo removal - everyone wins!

So I want to try a foam ripper, but yet again, the parts I have don’t match the parts for existing designs. Figures…

So I have 280 DC brushed motors and some DC PWM motor speed controllers that I can use.with a 12V DC source.

I have several of the POM wheels (as used on the ZenXY as well as the MP3DPv3) and the same 5mmx10mm bearings that form the core of those wheels. Of course that’s a different size bearing as well as the completely different motor and controller. To top it off the Burly mount doesn’t work with either the Primo or the LR3.

I don’t know about the wisdom of using @DougJoseph 's kinematic mount with a reciprocating ripper, but maybe if it’s balanced enough…

So a few things about the design that concern me, but not sure if it really should…

The design just flexes the piano wire. Doing that thousands of times per minute seems like a limited life span thing to me. I would rather do a connecting rod type design, even if it is more mass. Making the “piston” as a 3D printed part with a small bushing should keep reciprocating mass down, though still more than the bending wire. The guide wheels for the needle can still be used, maybe with the conecting rod, I can eliminate the MIG nozzle. I was thinking that by putting small grooves in the POM wheels, that would serve to lock down the “needle” to a reciprocating motion.

I wonder if an actual sewing needle could be used if I can figure out a “wrist pin” to put through the eye…

1 Like

Hmmm. Reading some stuff, maybe I’m overthinking the connecting rod/wrist pin idea… it does seem like a lot of trouble and increased complexity, not to mention extra moving mass…

But I still would rather use mostly stuff I already have.

Got a mousetrap?

2 Likes

For the thickness of aeroplane parts, has the laser made this redundant? I get a foam cutter for carving thicker pieces, but I would have thought that for thin foam/card combos the laser would be the way to go?