Hardboard tie-down wrapper and snack bin

Always hated trying to store long tie-down straps. One sketch in Fusion 360 and 15 minutes of cutting and my tie down pile has been tamed!

5mm hardboard and the finger-joint extension in Fusion 360 worked surprisingly well to put together this quick-but-functional snack bin.

11 Likes

I’ve always done my joints by hand. So there is an extension? I looked in the store and found one labeled “Wood-Joints.” Is this what you are using? And do you like what you are using.

2 Likes

The Fusion 360 Add-In (not ‘extension’ in Fusion 360: I mispoke!) is the one here:

Here’s a 1-minute sample use for two boards/components that are drawn first as overlapping.
Trigger the add-in, select the 2 components and their joint line, and you’re good to go.

The instructions for installation are on that GitHub page if you scroll down, along with usage instructions.
Once the script is installed, you can use the Fusion ‘s’/search tool to find the new ‘FingerJoint’ command, which gets you to the screen shot above.

8 Likes

Thanks SO much for that! I need to make some rabbit birthing boxes and I wanted to use box joints so that I didn’t need to use any fasteners since they like to eat the boxes :expressionless:

Lol! Making something safe-for-small-teeth is a woodworking design constraint I had never thought of before! :smile:

Ugh, rabbits! We made the mistake of getting a couple for my daughters. We have a lot of foxes and some coyotes in the area so we decided to keep them indoors. MISTAKE!!! Fortunately we eventually found a home for them because I was getting to the point of “setting them free” so they could play with the foxes. :grin:

1 Like

Awesome ! The design of my laser cutted skr pro’s box would had been far much faster if i had known before about of that extention…
Thank you !

1 Like

Yeah ours definitely do NOT live in the house. I think we’ve got around 20 right now and that would be an amazing smell even if we could kennel train them all :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I am amazed at how well you all work with fusion. :smiley: I am doing better with the 2D approach of AutoCAD. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I hear you; honestly I think 80% of that is that we use what what was put in front of us when we first started! :smiley:

I got into 3D printing 2-3 years ago, and found that Fusion was recommended then because: 1) it’s free for casual users, 2) had lots of great YouTube tutorials, and 3) is a perfect fit for generating quick functional 3D shapes suitable for printing.

When I switched over to CNC with the LR2, it was just easier to keep with Fusion for design work instead of trying to learn another software tool like AutoCAD. With every new project, the question is not “would another tool be better?” but “can I make Fusion 360 do this, so I only have to learn a few new things instead of a whole new workflow?”

2 Likes