Harbor Freight Router Speed Controller review

I purchased the Harbor Freight Router Speed Controller (BTW never buy anything from HF without a coupon; they’re just too easy to get). I’m using it with a Dewalt DW660. Using the the Router Speed COntroller couldn’t be much simpler. Plug the controller into power, and plug the dewalt into the controller. The controller has a three way switch on top. The switch is for Variable, off, and Full Power[attachment file=69048]
Just turn the dial to adjust the desired speed. So how do you know what the speed is? For that you’ll need a tachometer, which I bought just for the occasion. [attachment file=69050]
Then you put a little piece of reflective tape on the spindle and measure the speed.[attachment file=69049]
My results (with the controller in variable) were approximately:

Full power 27700 RPM

Turned all the way down 17000 RPM

Top of the Black Marking 19000 RPM

Top of the Green 21000 RPM

You can see in the picture where I penciled in the RPMS. I’m using very low end tools (controller and tachometer) , so who knows how close your results will be with mine. All in all, the Harbor Freight Speed Controller is easy to use, gets the job done, and cost $15 (with 25% coupon). I do wish it would turn down the RPMs even more, but I can’t really argue too much with my initial successes using this controller.

2 Likes

It is a great, cheap solution. Just beware that the rpms won’t stay there when you start getting load. What you’re adjusting is the power going in, not the rpms coming out, so when more of the power goes into the material, the rpms will get lower.

I use it (used to, the 611 has basically the same thing in the router) just to tune it by ear when I’m cutting. I might turn it up or down a little if things sound funny or there’s chatter. It’s definitely a good cheap speed controller.

To build on this, I just used this exact router speed controller for my latest project cutting purpleheart and hard maple. I used to have the homebuilt one that Ryan made but right before I was about to start cutting I blew a breaker in my apartment. I didn’t tear it down to look at the wiring but I think one of my connections is bad. But like you said I used a 25% off coupon and got it from HF.

As a note: Every weekend you typically can use the 20% off coupons from Friday until Sunday. 25% are rare and typically happen on holidays like Memorial Day, Labor Day those sorts of things.