Grinding noise on Z axis

Hi, everyone! I’m still building my first Lowrider 3, it is all wired up, the “only” thing missing is the Y axis as I have yet to buy some plywood sheets.

While testing the motion of the motors all assembled, the left Z axis makes a kind of like metal grinding noise when going down, it also made it going up until I put some Super Lube on the threaded rod. The other axis almost does not make that sound, it did it just a few times but I think the lube fixed it.

The motion of the XZ plate on the YZ plate wasn’t super smooth but the guide said that if it goes down just by gravity it was good enough so I left it at that. I suspect that the unsmooth motion could be caused by the YZ plate flexing just the tiniest bit due to being 3D printed rather than milled (I plan to swap it for a milled one as soon as I get the machine working) and translating it onto the rotational motion.

The noise does not cause any slipping on the stepper motor as I can see and hear that both Z endstops engage simultaneously.

I also discarded it being the motor itself as I tested them all before assembling it.

A video of said problem: (Sorry, it got uploaded as a short automatically)

Also saw that Doug had a pretty similar problem and I think it got solved by making sure the cables were connected correctly and so I did but nothing changed

Did you lube the Z screws? and is your nut loose?

If you put 2 screws and tightened them all the way down that can cause binding and the noise you are hearing

I did lube them and also did put both screws in, probably pretty tight too, so I’ll check that out and report back on the results

1 Like

Alright, I’m back. I did fix it, but it was a dumb fix actually, haha.
While in the process of taking the rods out, I figured I try letting the rod get seated on top of the stepper shaft, which I set apart like 1-2mm intentionally because I remembered it was a fix for some 3D printed related stuff, and lo and behold, ALL NOISES GONE!! Even the rotational motion of the rod looks super smooth, unlike in the video.

Didn’t even have to check the screws on the brass nut (If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it)

I hope at least my mishap will help someone else in the future, and thank you for your help, it’ll be taken into account if something else starts grinding (I sure hope not).

1 Like

Good deal. Glad you got it figured out!

1 Like