GRBL running on Ramps

Hi, you wouldn´t have to change my config, so I would restart all, reload my config, then move the jog, if some axis moves to worng direction then invert the stepper wireon ramps, with this you will have the same wirings conection than my machine. I think its the easier way beacause if you change $3 you also have to change $23 ( Homing mask), this GRBL has 5 axis so each mask has 5 bits, you have to look for a new homing direction mask. So I would try the first way.

On the other hand with homing I think all MPCNC has the limit switches wired to (NC), in my MPCNC they are (NO) but you don´t have to change the wiring only change $5 to 1.

I hope this helps you.

UGS runs under Java 8 you only have to install JAVA 8 and run UGS, I´ve downloaded it from Github, now i´m running UGS Plattform and it works well, it only have some problems with laser gcodes beacause this files are so big. But with milling gcodes there isn´t any problem.

This is the link : http://winder.github.io/ugs_website/download/

Ugs runs on my laptop but stopped on my mini computer for the cnc machine.

Good point on the homing mask. Will have to look that up. I am trying to learn the system so I like learning to reconfigure stuff.

I have been running bCNC with my GRBL setup, which runs on python. I have been pretty impressed with it. Might be another option if UGS keeps giving you issues.

The diference between GRBL 5X and normal GRBL is that you have to configure the 5 steppers, for example $103 is for X2 stepper $104 Y2 stepper.

About the masks you have to think about 5 steppers direction X1-Y1-Z-A(X2)-B(Y2) so invert the stepper wich goes on the wrong direction, (11011=29) for example.

You only have to test and change this command. BCNC is a good interface too so it will work.

Don´t forget grbl can save 3 positions in your workspace with ZERO, G28.1-G28, G30.1-G30. I have configured some macros with this gcodes to do my work easier.

How can i use it with Estlcam? It works with Version 11?

Hi, you only have to configure Estlcam to work with grbl changing Marlin to GRBL in Basic settings.

It works with any version and any cam software.

1 Like

Setup->Basic Settings->GRBL

Setup->CNC Controller->GRBL 0.9-1.1 with PWM

Setup->CNC Controller-> COM6

But its not working, Integrated Controller not enabled or No response from controller…

John I never have tested estlcam cnc controller, I work with this program to get the gcode, then I open this gcode with Universal Gcode sender or Bcnc, but I think it would work.

I’ll test this feature this afternoon.

1 Like

I am pretty sure the estlcam controller was discontinued a few versions ago.

You can generate the gcode but will need to use a separate gcode sender to control the machine.

Also Mega 5x is 1.1 grbl

1 Like

I think he just stopped supporting common printer boards. He has some estlcam controllers he still writes firmware for. They are far from standard and can’t connect to grbl boards, AFAIK. He hasn’t open sourced the firmware and only provides compiled hex files, so we can’t even help and port it to ramps.

But, the other comments are correct, if you save the gcode rom estlcam you need to configure it for grbl style and then you can run it in your controller software. Have you guys tried cnc.js? I really like it. I have only used the pi version (v1pi) but the standalone should be a good choice for windows users.

1 Like

[attachment file=80946]

I remember now. I had been reading a thread about it and it just clicked that he is not writing the firmware side.

Hi John. Estlcam 11 and an Arduino Uno + CNC shield work just fine together. After setting the preferences you have to use Estlcam to program the Uno - the ‘Program Controller’ button with the Uno hooked up to your computer over USB of course. (You have to reprogram after any specs changes too). Then you can use Estlcam to control the whole machine and run your file directly, skipping the ‘export GCode’ step. This is discussed elsewhere in this forum under ‘Arduino Uno’ and ‘Estlcam’ search terms. Somewhere else here someone reported using a RAMPS board + CNC shield successfully. I haven’t tried that yet. The specifications outlined above for GRBL is the one you select for the most common Uno + CNC shield combination you can buy. The GRBL All variant is the one that works best for me and that just specifies the pinout for the Uno type CNC shield. Christian Knull does suggest you use a genuine Uno.

Hi again John. Estlcam won’t work directly on a Rambo board. You can generate a GCode Toolpath with Estlcam, export it, and run it via Repetier, etc. When milling I’d rather do it all as above with an Uno + CNC Shield after creating my CAD file.

If you import an STL file into Estlcam, it will call up a dialogue box asking for your milling preferences. The ‘Block machining’ choice works best for carving a 3D object with 2 sided milling. For example I am currently carving a bird in 3D. Estlcam will pause for bit changes. Just remember to touch off tool length ; ). I have used some STL files intended for printing but mill them out of solid polyethylene plastic instead since it is Waaay quicker especially if it essentially a 2.5D object.

I use my Rambo board more for printing and laser work. Cheers.

First, thank you Pablo for all of your hard work on getting this done. It really is fantastic.

I’m completely new to configuring GRBL and not sure if I am missing something. I was able to flash the ramps board with your files, but I’m not sure how to import your settings with UGS. I have it installed and it connects fine to the board, but I cannot find a way to import your MPCNC_AUTOSQUARE.settings file. Is it that I just go through the file and enter the variables manually ($var=x) or is there a way to import them all together?

Using the latest version of UGS, 2.0.

Any help would be appreciated.

Has anybody managed to get NC endstops working. I’ve tried $5=1 with no luck

If I have $5=0 then I can see grbl reacting to pressing endpoints but it is inverted

[verbose]<Alarm|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:XYXY>
[verbose]<Alarm|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:XXY>

Found the issue for NC endstops. This fork of grbl has support for both min and max endstops for each axis. So if endstops are set to NC and no max endstops are connected then max endstops will be always triggered and the solution is either to add max endstop/hardwire pin to gnd or hack it in the code in limits.c

After code change everything is working perfect with grbl,RAMPS and NC dual endstops

I just got mega 5x running on my newly built mpcnc. Homing and auto squaring are working perfectly. However I can’t get my z probe to work. I issue the z probe command using the cncjs widget and when I make contact with the touchplate nothing happens and the z axis keep going down.

I’ve gone over my wiring several times and I think it is ok, I’ve even tried a endstop switch and get the same result if I manually trigger the switch the z axis still continues down.

Did I miss a setting in the firmware that I should change?

The easiest way to check it is to use M119 in Repetier or Pronterface (or something like that) to report the status of the endstops. That way, the motors aren’t moving but you get individual endstop status (open or triggered).