Grbl on Rambo, double Y-stepper

I found that setting in the cpu_map.h, and it looks to have some effect indeed.
Still I wonder what the $142 value means exactly. At these low values, they also seem to have some effect.

Behaviour I get now:
In cpu_map.h I’ve put this:
#define DIGIPOT_MOTOR_CURRENT { 135,135,40,135,135 } // Values 0-255 (RAMBO 135 = ~0.75A, 185 = ~1A)

When I power up I can turn the Z-axis by hand, with just a bit more force than needed unpowered.
Checking the value of $142 it returns 135
Setting the value of $142 to 40 I need significantly more force to turn the axis by hand.
If I set $142 to 60 I need just a little more force, but the motor heats up significantly quicker.
If I set $142 to 135 I get the same high pitched sound and great overheating as before

The new questions are:

• Why does the setting $142=135 not get effected from bootup.
  • How do I make the new setting permanent.

Thanks Anthony and Jeff, for pointing me in the right direction.

$x=value Command used to save a GRBL setting. Replace the “X” with a number from the list
above and the “value” with the corresponding setting.

Also universal gcode sender has a settings viewer built in and works well for changing settings but not sure it it shows those settings as I dont have a rambo set up on mine it goes to S135 not sure about past that

$x=value Command used to save a GRBL setting. Replace the “X” with a number from the list
above and the “value” with the corresponding setting.

Yes it does, and I see that value remaining after a reboot. But the crazy thing is, that this Z stepper defaults back to some really low torque and I can’t explain that. After reboot $$ shows me $142 to be 40, but the torque is really low. When I set $142 to be 40, the torque gets high and $142 is still 40. After a revoot it also is still 40, but the torque is low again.