Got a Cricut

Got the Maker 3 for Christmas.

Maybe ~5 years ago, I got the drag knife for my MPCNC, I didn’t really know how to CNC (still don’t :grimacing:) and I didn’t surface the machine so it was pretty miserable.

This is pretty fun.

Everything gets vinyl now

This version lets you do print, then cut which is pretty cool. It can read the black registration marks on the print out and know where zero is to cut out your stickers or whatever.

I got this iron on material to do fabrics.

Now I’ll go to the craft store and probably impulse buy a bunch of other material to try haha

6 Likes

There is also the reverse. Use it to cut masks and then get some glass etcher. Makes super classy looking custom cups/glasses.

6 Likes

Decades ago, before Cricuts were a thing, our gaming group had a guy who worked out in the concrete bunker on the other side of the military base. He may have used their vinyl stencil cutter (usually used to mark large metal cylinders :radioactive: ) to make etching masks for some nice, epic pint mugs for our group.

2 Likes

It just feels so good to have a new machine to unlock new maker capabilities.

I freaking love to make things

4 Likes

My mom has been buying yeti water bottles and using stencils to etch off the paint. The results are dishwasher safe and they look pretty cool. Some of the fine details get etched away, so it is better for somewhat clunky designs.

The cricut has a lot going for it. But do they still require a service to use it? That would be a deal breaker for me even if I didn’t have another CNC.

1 Like

We have one makes excellent resist for brass etching

1 Like

My wife has one and yeah it’s a walled garden. You can use Illustrator or Inkscape to create SVGs for it but it’s not super intuitive. Nothing the hackers here can’t handle though!

1 Like

@jeffeb3 you should build her a laser MPCNC with the new Jackpot and a rotary. I used mine for some Yeti Christmas gifts.

6 Likes

Those look amazing.

1 Like

That looks like fun :grin: guift time is comming up .
I think i want some good rocks glasses personalized.
The wife is going to not be happy but love the outcome now have to decide on the way to proceed

Is there a rotary axis for a jackpot LR3? Asking for a, uh, friend…

It should work. You have 1 unused driver on the LowRider don’t you?

1 Like

I don’t think anyone has figured out the cam for that yet.

If you’re using Lightburn, the aux rotary is a value in settings that can be toggled as needed.
When you turn it on, the Y axis output goes to the rotary, although I think other configurations can be configured.

Mike

1 Like